Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass canopies?

glass canopies?

If my light is a few inches over the top of the aquarium do I need to use a glass canopy? I've seen a lot of pics without them...as long as I don't have any fish that are prone to jumping can I go without?
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

yes, but be sure the bulbs will not be splashed with water from your tank (even when your hands are in there doing maintenance). Often, if possible, its better/easier to have a glass on your light fixture so that your bulbs are protected and you tank can be left uncovered and enjoy a fresh supply of gas exchanges.
    Albert
    My Photos

The light I'm using comes with an "acrylic lens cover"...
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

yeah acrylic is a good idea..I ve had a glass cover for my tank and its not that bad until u break it.

be shure to clean it often... it's the downfall. if and when it gets dirty, less light will pass. I prefer to have it open as you get the full light coming in your tank.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Contrary to what the specifications say, can you use one of the Coralife lighting fixtures without a glass cover?

The specs do say it comes with an acrylic cover.

I'm using a standard flourecent light fixture ( no cover on fixture ) with a split glass cover. I would prefer to switch to something else since there is a thick black strip connecting to two glass panes.

Cheers

If you use a glass cover on your tank you will, as Albert pointed out, have less gas exchange at the surface. You will also change the quality of your lighting because glass acts like a filter. Then there the constant need to clean algae off the glass because there will be a lot of condensation on the panes and algae will grow there quickly. When it's all said and done go without the cover.
    Rob

I snagged on of the Coralife double compact fixtures today. The leg you attach provides a good 3-4 from the top of the tank. I've removed the glass cover and will run with it off for awhile to see how things works out.

I did run it for awhile with the glass cover on and the temperature seems to have risen a couple of degrees. Those compact floro's get pretty hot !!

Has anybody had any humidity problems running the tank (45gal)without a canopy.

I've been running for about a week without although my condo ( it's pretty small ) seems to be a little damp. It has been moist outside the last couple days, but it seemed very damp inside yesterday when I got home( rain ).

I typically have to add replacement water every 2 days due to evaporation.

the temp in my place also seems to be warmer by about 1-1-1/2 șC.

Is this all in my head?
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Your tank will increase the humidity level in your house if your house is a well sealed unit. If you by chance have hardwood floors (engineered or parquet) this will help them in winter but be a possible issue in summer. Most homes are very comfortable at 45% moisture content and almost all the building materials that go into building it function best between 30% and 50%. So come summers real humid weeks you may have to dehumidify to stay comfortable and top up the tank as necessary.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast