Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Am I missing anything?

I just wanted to run my setup by you all and make sure I wasn't missing anything.

20g long
    Aqualight 30" 2x65w
    AquaC Remora
    22" Refugium from AC
    2 Powerheads - I need advice on the flow rate
    150w Tronic Heater
    40lbs of Live Rock
    Live Sand - more advice on how much please

I was going to use a SCWD since I heard you can put them directly on your powerhead, but I didn't know they were so big! I don't have a sump so I can't really have it outside of the tank...any suggestions?

I'm going to rig up the auto top-off I mentioned in my other post.

I'm sure I left some things out, my mind is just not working at the moment!

How does that sound?
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

You can save money by using regular sand and then adding a little bit of live sand (either boughten or "borrowed" from an established tank".

Here is a calculator for how much sand to buy http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/SandBed.php

I always use 2 small heaters. That way if one should fail (and they do), the other one either quits working (if one is constantly on) or takes over the full load (if one won't turn on). This eliminates cooking my fish or slows down the rate the temperature drops.

I would suggest at least the following test kits - ammonia, nitrites, calcium and alk. Nitrate, pH and mag are next in line.

Thermomete??

Vickie

Phosphate test too, there are many others but the ones mentioned are good enough to start with.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

liv
    if you did'nt allready buy that protein skimmer, i'd check with Harley for a price on a similar box... most likely will be alot cheaper.

for the powerheads, they say minimum of 10x your tank size.. in your case 200gph min... so get one that runs all the time and one on timer to give it some turbulance.

for the aragonite, that stuff is not too expensive anyway.. i'd go ahead and get only that.. no mix.. but depends what look you want.. I like the coarse stuff.. like the 2727 grade. go for a good 2" if you can.

oh and most of this stuff, IJO can get, ask here first.. you will save alot...i wish I did when I started..

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Sorry I really shouldn't have said live sand...I have no intention of buying all live sand. I'm just going to use normal sand and get a few cups from the LFS to seed it, that plus the LR will make it live in no time.

I thought about using 2 small heaters, but I'm not sure I will the room. I'm going to put one in the fuge and I'll see how much space the rock takes up...I might be able to fit another in there too.

I tried to edit this and add that I had a test kit but I guess there is a time limit on editing.
    I have a "Master Marine Test Centre" by Marine Enterprises International...has anyone ever heard of it? It has tests for pH, Nitrite, Ammonia, and Copper. I don't know how good of a kit this is...I bought it from a sorry excuse for a LFS last year before I knew any better. Do you have any recommendations for a good kit? I was told to get a Salifert kit, but they are soooo expensive. If it's worth it tho I don't mind the cost.

Thermomete?? is that a brand?

Where can I get a good timer for the powerheads? Most that I've seen are quite expensive. I guess I can always add that later, I won't need the turbulence while I'm cycling the tank.

I'm not sure what kind of substrate I'll use yet, but I do prefer the look of a finer sand. Imay go to Detroit and try to get some Southdown.

I was told that the best way to test for salinity was with a refractometer...is it really that much better? I can get one for a pretty decent price, but it's still a lot compared to a hydrometer.

I'm also trying to find some LR in Canada...the LR I'm getting(which I traded fish for so I have to get it here) looks good...lots of coraline growth...but I don't see much life...sea fans, bristleworms and such...Is there a place in Canada that I can get a few pounds of LR?

Sorry about all the questions....just want to do this the right way!

Thanks
    James...

Cool CANADA GUY

I'll give ya my honest oppion. On a 20g and from what I can tell you are on a strict budget?
    SALIFERT and SEACHEM make good kits[don't skimp here]
    EBOJABBER are a great heater and it was mentioned to get 2 of these in small watt, but its only a 20g and I think even the smallest one would cook that tank if stuck on so 1 should be fine[not sure how low you can go for wattage?]
    You can buy a $11 INTERMATIC timer at any HOME DEPOT or CANADIAN TIRE. for the lights right? 1 MAXIJET1200 powerhead would be plenty on that tank.
    SOUTH DOWN? why bother going to DETROIT for southdown when all it will take is 1 bag of sand for that tank. you can order fine sand or buy it at most LFS.
    The floating type hydrometers are the best bang for the buck as I still use one. I just checked its accuracy at the LFS and it was close.

i heard ebojabber wasn't CSA approved?

check the packaging....

Johnny,

The budget...there WAS a budget!!! I've managed to keep certain things in check, but others have just gone way over what I wanted...ah well.

I may not go for a 200w, but I don't think I can go less than 150w. The tank will be in the basement and all my breeding tanks(20 talls) have 100ws and I wish they were bigger as they are on more than I want them to be.

I think I'll get a Salifert kit as it seems to be the most highly rated as I look around. I don't think I'm ready to spend over $200 for their full kit, but they have a decent one for around $100.

The timer I was asking about was for the powerheads...I can get a timer for the lights for $8 Home Hardware.

Don't I want more than 1 powerhead so create some cross currents? Like 2 Maxi-Jet 600s??

The LFSs around here suck...only 2 carry any SW supplies at all and the prices are insane. I live 5 mins from the border so worse case scenario I get to spend the morning cruising the LFSs in Detroit.

Lighting for the fuge...I was looking at a nice little Jalli 18W PC unit...will this be enough?

Thanks for the posts so far!
    James...

Cool

you could use 2 smaller powerheads on timers if you'd like but Its not really neccesary on a 20g and I don't imagine you'll be keeping a whole lot of SPS corals.The cheap INTERMATICS with pins work great for powerheads as well.'lighting on a fuge,just use a shop light from the hardware store for like $20
    Thats all I use and its just fine.

I love my refractometer and would never go back to a swing arm hydrometer. I picked mine up on eBay for about $35.

Vickie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast