Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with Tang ID

I am looking for info on this Tang. It was idendified as a Chocolate Tang (Acanthurus pyroferus). When it do a web search the info and pics that come up do not seem to match. What I am looking for is care and tank requirments.

Thanks

Another pic

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mimic Surgeonfish
    Acanthurus pyroferus Kittlitz, 1834

Adult Mimic Surgeonfish are yellowish to dark brown, with a paler head. The opercular margin is dark and the region above the pectoral fin is orange.

Juvenile Mimic Surgeonfish show several colour forms that mimic different species of angelfishes (Family Pomacanthidae). As the Mimic Surgeonfish grows it eventually becomes larger than the angelfish species it is mimicking. It then changes to the adult colouration.

The Mimic Surgeonfish grows to 25cm in length.

It occurs in tropical marine waters throughout the Western and Central Pacific.

In Australia it is recorded from the offshore reefs of northwestern Western Australia and the northern Great Barrier Reef to northern New South Wales. Small juveniles that are carried south by the East Australian Current are occasionally found in marine waters of southern New South Wales.

I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

When ever I have seen picutres of a Mimic Surgeonfish they have been yellow.

So, these pictures are just a color stage of the Mimic?

It also sounds like it will get a little too large for my tank anyway.

Cool

there might be a few different mimics I'm fairly certain but TANG-MAN would know better[owner of many books ] lucky guy!

Now I know why he's Tang-Man!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Some more information, now that I'm home in front of my library (hehehe Johnny)...

As per Scott Michaels book,

Recommended min. 75 gal tank

Varied diet, mostly vegetable matter. Feed dried and frozen herbivore foods that contain marine algae and Spirulina. Would also benefit from Nori.

Generally Reef safe. Browses on filamentous microalgae. May nip at LPS if underfed.

Juveniles of this species mimic either the lemonpeel or the Halfblack Angels. As it grows larger, it will develop it's adult coloration. Moderately aggressive, only keep one specimen (of the same color) per tank.

--- Other information I've found leads me to believe that they develop into different variations of adult colors, often ending up with the mature specimens pictured above.

HTH
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

wow, are they fairly easilly available ?
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Thanks for the ID. I guess I should have opened my book. This is how I am used to seeing the mimic.

Now, why would a Mimic of max length 9.8" be OK for a 75g tank and a Powder Blue of max length 9.1" have to have a 100g tank?

I'm researching Tangs to see if one is OK for my setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast