Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

friend or anemone?!

Hi all! On Monday I bought a pink tipped anemone, and by Thursday my Maroon clownfish settled in. Trouble is he seems like he's constantly rolling & wiggling in it. It seems like he's squishing it! Is this possiable? Could he hurt it from over exuberance?! The anmone was bigger and seems to have shrunk a bit from all this attention.
    What do you all think?

how big was the anenome when you bought it. is there just 1 clown? keep an eye out but the anenome might be adjusting. Clowns can cause probs if the Anenome is to small.

thanks Johnny...I have just the one Maroon clown, the anenome is about 3 inches big, right now, but it was larger before the clown settled in. I've attached 2 photos....
    I appreciate any wisdom!
    http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=652
    http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=653
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

he's pretty tiny! keep an eye out for sure as the clown could be to hard on it. FEED! the anenome alot at first to increase the size[they grow fast]. his color doesn't look to good at this point but he's inflating so thats a good sign. Is it a bubble tip?

:sad4: yeah the anenome was inflated to a larger size when I first introduced him to the clownfish.. the LFS labeled the anenome as "Pink Tipped Anenome" no species name. He opened up and was eating yesterday but today he is still showing inflated tentacles, but limp. I'm thinking he might need a vacation from Jiggy the clownfish!!
    Thanks very much for your input Johnny.. I'll keep you posted.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

update on anenome: I fed him, and he's looking pinker then he was... still very small though. I've got a quarintine tank going just in case, but it doesn't have the right intensity lights for Anenomes so I'm wondering if it'd be a bad decision to move him to it....

It looks and sounds like you have a "Florida Pink-tip Anemone", or genera: condilactis. This is not a natural clown fish host, and the fact that your maroon clown has taken hosted it, is lucky (although maroons are fairly "slutty" that way). These anemone are fairly hardy (very close relative to Entacmaea or BTA), but judging by the picture, you may have a problem like Johnny said.

The anemone is quite small compared to the size of the clown, and the clown's normal actions, coupled with the recent stress the anemone has been under from being transported, may not be good. Rather than move the anemone, can you move the clown for a month or so, while you feed the anemone and let it adjust?

great info guys, thanks! Zookeeper--I've been contemplating moving the clown to the quarintine tank..... but I almost would hate to stress him out like that.. he's so darn happy molesting this anenome!! I actually was VERY surprised to see the clowns over reaction to the anenome..I didn't think he'd settle in it, or if he did it wouldn't be so soon!! I guess in a way it was lucky, but not for the poor anenome!! The clown is a big lug! I was able to keep the clown away while I fed the anenome minced shrimp. It responded very well and inflated up a bit more. I guess that's good news! Thanks again for the input, I had a feeling that the clown was a bit too... big & amourous! Who knew?!

If it is indeed a CONDILACTIS do they not stay small? CORAL, was the price unbelievably cheap? if so, ZOOKEEPER is right.

Yeah! He was cheap! $10! Dang, he won't ever be large enough to put up with my maroon?? : (
    I had to move the anenome this morning.. Jiggy apparently slept in it & now it resembles grey limp spaghetti. I'm hoping the quarintine tank will bring him back from the brink :bawling:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast