Thread: Stand pipes

Stand pipes

I've been doing some reading on stand pipes, overflows, etc. I understand how they work with a bottom drilled tank. However, the two common standpipe designs (Durso and Stockman) both seem to require a bottom drain. What do you do if the tank has a side wall drain for the overflow? Or is this jiust a real dumb question :-( ??
    Nick

I am not familiar with brand name overflow stand pipes as I always make my own. If you are making your own and the hole is drilled in the back of the tank just put a 90 degree elbow into the bulkhead fitting and screw your stand pipe into that. Everything will need to be threaded with the stand pipe glued into a threaded sleeve. If there is no overflow gate around this hole make sure there is NO leakage at the connection between the 90 degree elbow, stand pipe and bulk head fitting. Don't use standard white Teflon tape at these connections. Use the pink stuff that is designed for use with plastics. It is called "Pink Waterline PTFE Tape"
    On my next tank the overflow hole is going to be about 4 inches from the water line and the elbow will be all that is needed with a foam donut filter slid right over it.
    Rob

I think Durso and Stockman refer to the folks who designed them. They are both DYI prjects rather than commercial.

Interesting suggestion about the elbow.
    Nick

Yes ... I intend to drill 7 holes out of the back of my new tank. All will be close to the water line. 2 will be overflow elbows, 2 will be water supply from the sump using bulkhead fitting that have directional nozzles on them, 1 will be for all wiring and the other 2 will be spares.
    Rob

I also notice that the bulk of the noise that comes out of stand pipes can be reduced if the stand pipe is NOT at 90 degrees to the bottom of the tank. The elbows I intend to use will be at about 30 degrees and water will FLOW down them instead of FALLING to the bottom.
    Rob

This is the plan.

This is how I will do it