Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Found Nemo - What to do now?

Hello people... this is my first post on this forum.

It will soon be quite evident that I'm new at this... I need a bit of advice.

First, I had a little mishap today. You know that scene where Nemo swims up the filter intake and almost gets mulched by the 100mph propeller thing? Yep, you guessed it... happened in my tank today. Well, I'm running one of those whisper hang on filters with some bio-ring thingy's while I get my refugium set up. I had removed the guard from the intake tube while doing some maintenance and forgot to put it back on. so my wife calls me today and says, "there's a clownfish missing!" There we were, trying to find nemo! And sure enough, he got sucked up the filter intake. Amazing thing is, he's alive. I lifted the lid off the filter and there he was swimming around (he's over an inch long). Wow, these guy's really are hardy! He's doing fine but has a small open gash on one side near his head. Question is, should I put something in the water to prevent infection, or just let it heal on it's own?

Next question: I am using a 27g aquarium as a sump for my already cycled 40g tank. Once I set it up with fresh salt water, how long should I wait before I start pumping the water?

welcome!

hope you enjoy your stay!! good luck in a great hobby

A few questions first because I do not want to assume anything.
    The 40 is set up with an overflow that goes to the 27 gal sump .. right?
    The sump is 27 gallons but is likely only 50 to 60 % filled so that equals about 15 to 17 gallons net?

If the above is the case you are looking at adding about 1/3 more new water. If you want to play it safe ... leave the sump empty and add about 5 gallons of new salt water to the 40 gallon tank and let the displaced water flow down into the sump. Put a power head in the sump to keep that displaced water moving and aerated. Add 5 gallons a day until the sump level is where you want it to be and then turn on the sump tanks pump. This water you are adding can be mixed up all a once to match the salinity of the existing water in a large plastic bucket, heated to match the main tank temp, aerated and checked for a PH match. As for the injury to the clowns head .... Keep an eye on the wound for secondary infections, treat any that occur and hope for the best.
    Rob

OH ... and welcome to the site

Thanks Rob.

I have not yet put any water in the sump. I'll follow your advice when the time comes. I'm still waiting on some of the equipment. Is it alright to use powerheads as pumps for the sump? I still need to purchase a suitable overflow for an undrilled tank. Any suggestions?

Chris

OK ... I do not think you should use a power head pump as the return for your sump unless you are referring to the larger types like the MAG series. The sump pump will be the HEART of your system and you want a good strong HEART ... right. Just use a small power head in the sump temporarily to keep that water moving around and aerated until the whole system is in full operation. Siphon the 5 gallons a day out of your tank and into your sump. When you get the amount of water in the sump that you want, prime and start the overflow and turn on your sump pump. I would also STRONGLY recommend that you consider getting your tank drilled.
    Rob

Hi Chris

Getting the tank drilled would be your best bet. If you can't and need to go another way, you can get the S.O.S. overflow system. Just make sure you get a strong water pump to put water from the sump (heart as Salty mentioned) back into your tank. If the siphon breaks between the box in your tank and the hang on the back box of the S.O.S. unit, your tank will overflow onto the floor. Once you see the unit and study it, you will see what I mean. A very strong water pump will prevent this from happening.

Good luck.

How do I make sure the flow going back to the tank is consistent with the flow coming from the tank? Will the flow of the pump automatically cause the water to flow through the overflow at the same rate? Ok, that must be it... I was baffled about that for a while. Rookies eh?!

Anyone have a used overflow they want to sell?

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the tips. Yah, flooding the basement with salt water would not be a good thing.

Thanks again also for the coral. It's looking great in the tank. I forgot to ask though, is there anything in particular I need to do to ensure this coral stays healthy?

Hi Chris

Don't worry about asking questions. That's what this forum is all about. That's how you get knowledge from others, and share with others.

As for the coral, just keep it in good water conditions, with a mild current around it, and place it high, as it likes to grow upwards to the light, and it should do great. Other than that, It is an easay to keep, hardy coral.

easy enough. so am I correct about the water flow in the sump?Do I just use 1 pump to return water from the sump and allow the overflow to do the rest manually?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast