Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coral Beauty

Coral Beauty

Will the Coral Beauty eat gorgonians or the delicate net fan? I'll be keeping a softies tank with hopefully the delicate net fan, and if I can fit one in a gorg....(they're all sooooo big here..) I know they have a tendency to nip at stonies and clams, and these are neither, but was curious. I read if well fed then they'll generally stay away.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I just got a coral beauty a few weeks ago. He bothers my featherduster and picks at my candy cane corals to the point where I no longer see their feeder tenticles at night. I suspect he may have killed them. I wish I hadn't bought him. He does not seem to touch xenia, mushrooms, polyps, finger leather, etc. I think they just pick a large-polyp stoney corals. He is beautiful though and very active.
    The Frosstman

Hi Tif! I have a Coral B too, she's always picking at things & ate my two baby feather dusters I was raising! She even eats at the coraline on my LR. I don't have corals tho. Good luck!
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Hi, i had to remove my coral beauty from my reef as he\she was bothering and pecking at a nice green open brain i had..Notice the "had".. He now is a member of the fowlr tank

It seems that these are "hit-and-miss" doesn't it? Even though you can read many stories of people keeping them without troubles.

Some more info Here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/hcs3/index.htm
    - Alan

Originally posted by coral
    I don't have corals tho.
    ummm???:wha?: :ummm: a bit off topic but what the heck are you doing with a name like Coral if you have no ..., well....., corals??!!!!: ( just bugging ya!!!).

Thanks for the link, and all the info.
    I did buy one, it was beautiful and the RS assured me that it won't eat corals, I later discovered that they will and called them to tell them and that if I have any probs then it's back to the store. Thankfully they agreed. The books I have are divided on whether they do or don't eat corals....
    Is it true that the flame angel is reef safe? As that was the preferred choice, but hard to get, another long waiting list.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

From what I've read, the flame is also hit and miss about whether they will eat coral. I saw some suggestion that the coral beauty might be a slightly higher risk but doubt the evidence on this is strong. I'm trying to decide if I want to take a chance with one.
    Nick

Why not try an African Flameback or Cherub angel? Both are small and apparantly better ones with corals. I myself am looking into the Flamebacks now.

i have a coral beauty and he doesnt touch a thing..hes exellent!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast