Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Clownfish & anemone trouble

I recently purchased a mated pair of maroon clowns and a green carpet anemone (s. hadonii) that they were already hosting in at my local fish store. The female is rather large and is very rough with the carpet.

She keeps trying to move it to a spot that it doesn't want to be in by grabbing on and pulling it with her mouth - she is actually pulling so hard that she is ripping some of the tentacles off. I am interested in purchasing a second, larger carpet for her to host in. I am hoping that if she splits her attention between two of them she won't damage
    either one too badly. I understand that the bubble tip anemone is the maroon's natural host, but I also understand that I am not supposed to mix anemone types in a 40G tank as secretions from the anemones can hurt different species.

Does this sound reasonable? Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi, overall you would probably be better off with a large BTA. It is astounding how much of a thrashing they can take at the hands (fins, mouth?) of a female Maroon. If the store will take the Carpet back, I would try this route. Even though the pair was in the carpet, they would likely take to a BTA as you have indicated.

Another anemone species in your tank is asking for trouble, yes. Even a second Carpet would be taking a chance. Hard to say how even the one will take the kind of beating that is starting in there already. I would try for a Bubble Tip for sure - maybe a nice Rose (awesome pairing of colours with the Maroons).

Good luck!
    - Alan

My lfs won't take the anemone back : (

Why would a second carpet be a problem? I was under the impression that mixing species was an issue but having the same species would be okay?

Any thoughts on how to proceed since I can't "get rid of" my carpet?

Michele

GOOD LORD! I've got the same dang problem with my maroon clown...... he's a bloody maniac with my Florida Pink Tipped anenome.. (thanks to this forum I've learned alot!) I want to get a "distraction anenome' for my lunatic clown, but I don't have the right lights for most of the other anenomes or corals.
    I have my anen. in QT because my clown literally beat it up.
    Sorry I don't have any solutions, thought I'd just share your pain since I'm there too! (I don't think this is the last of the Attacks of the Killer Clowns.)
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I hope there is a solution to the problem. I should have high enough lighting for most anemones (2 96W bulbs in a 37G tank).

Hi, you may find that 2 carpets (if they both survive) will quickly run out of room in a 37g. Mine was over 12" across when I sold it, as it outgrew my 50g (16x36" footprint). What is yours like (size, colour)? It may be that the clown eases up on it enough so that it can get a foothold in the sandbed (I'm assuming you have a DSB for your Carpet). If it can find a spot to its liking, and the Maroon backs off a bit, it may yet do well without the need for a "distraction" host.

"My" old Green Carpet is now folded among the rocks in my friend's 230g, with its foot about 5" down in the sand. It's not going anywhere, and I doubt that even a Maroon from Hades could dislodge it now.

To help your haddoni, feed it a couple of times a week, small pieces of fish are best. Your lighting looks OK for now, I made do with less, and supplemented with feedings.

While your Maroon establishes its territory, things may look grim for the Carpet - but hang in there. Worst case scenario, you may have to "cage" your Carpet for awhile, and let it settle in.

HTH,
    - Alan

AJ, any ideas on how to cage an anen?? That's a good idea.. could keep it in the tank then.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Last night I "caged" the anemone by putting a tank divider in the tank. It climbed up the wall and looks horrible!!! It has white stuff coming out of it and is droopy - I think I'm going to lose it.

I'm going to try and attach pictures - please bear with me if this doesn't work, first time posting pictures.

I'm really worried.

Michele, if the Carpet isn't planted firmly in the sand, it's having trouble - trouble adjusting, trouble finding a spot to its liking, or trouble from getting roughed up. If it's roaming that much, it might be stressed badly (and by the other symptoms you describe). Carpets like a sandy sediment, not glass panels.

Expelling goo doesn't necessarily mean the end though, so stay positive. It could come around. Do you ever read the Anemones and Clownfishes forum at Reef Central? There are some very experienced 'nem-keepers that hang out there. Delphinus is one, I know he is on this board once in a while too. I bought my Green Carpet from him, it wa a beauty.

Coral - some people have used clear acrylic boxes, the "breeding-trap" critter keepers you can get at the LFS, or even a clear plastic version of the strawberry pint or two-pint containers from the grocery. Just sit them upside down over the animal - also handy for harassed clams.

- Alan

I've used pliable egg-crate for similar purposes.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast