Tank Background?

I'm just wondering what you guys do with your backgrounds. I was thinking of painting mine, but I'm not sure how the salt will react with the paint. I've also seen a lot of tanks that don't use a background at all...will coraline grow on the back and create a natural background?
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

good question
    i was wondering
    if i wanted to paint the background
    on the outside, is there any special paint for glass???
    -48g bow front
    reef in the making

I painted mine using navy blue spray paint from Home Depot. I think it looks pretty good. I used 2 cans on the back of a 90 gal. Lots of coats. Make sure the glass is really clean or the paint will react in spots. Also make sure you watch out for the overspray. My wife is wondering how the basement floor got so dirty and why it isn't cleaning it up like it used to. Don't tell:idunno:

I just put up black tissue paper that was all crinkled up. Now it's down and I have the pink and purple corraline all over the back.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

hrm
    black tissue paper ehh
    hows that look?

is that spray paint anything special??

im wondering what colour ppl like to see in the bkgd
    i dont want to do clear cause of the plumping and electrical
    -48g bow front
    reef in the making

Black and Blue seem to be the colours of choice. Checking out many of the other sites and the pictures of the tanks seem to support this. Alot of people will do what they can to hide anything showing from behind.

tissue paper looks fine but it's not water proof. Made no difference to me. Now I have a back covered in coralline so the paper is now gone.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

just normal latex paint works...like Bvoss said...just make sure it's really clean. If you scrap or hit it with something it will come off tho...not a very good bond, but it will stay up so long as you're careful.

I bought some spray paint from Home Depot too...a dark blue...if you've ever been diving or in the ocean and looked into the deep blue abyss...that's the colour...that's what I tried for at least.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Any spray paint will do. However, an oil based paint will adhere stronger and is more resistant to salt creep overtime. As others have suggested, make sure the glass is good and clean before painting because you want a real solid bond to the glass. Clean the glass with alcohal before ( and might as well take a swig or two at the sametime:drunk2: ). Black and Deep Blues are the most common colors used because they are somewhat neutral and the livestock will stand out against it. Not to mention the most natural looking in a tank. There is a person named Weatherson on RC that has what I think is a new record for longest thread running and in it he shows how he painted hisbackground with 3 shades from medium blue through dark navy to black to try and reconstruct that view you have underwater staring into the deep open. It actually looks rather good. Either way, if your tank is running properly, eventually the coralline should be growing strong and end up covering most of it. Lastly, you would want to do multiple very thin coats rather than one or two thick coats which might run and look like crap from inside the tank. Spray is best for this purpose, just do quick sweeps with each coat.