Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leopard Wrasse green

The RS just emailed me that they've got a pair of the green leopard wrasse. (Macropharyngodon meleagris), and I've been waiting for a while for a leopard wrasse, though I need some advice on the green variety.
    I've done some looking around and not a whole lot of info, except their reef safe, and eat small crustaceans, and copepods, frozen foods, and need a well established tank.
    Are they hard to keep? Do they have any special requirements?
    Is there any differences between the 'common' and the green leopard wrasse, aside from the colour???
    Thanks for any info.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Here ya go...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-07/hcs3/index.htm

Tiff,
    I have one of those and they are very easy to keep. The only tricky part is that they are fragile during shipping as the article mentions. If the store is willing to hold them for a couple weeks, check to see that they have adjusted well and are eating good. Once they are eating well and adjusted, they are usually very hardy and very active.
    Mine will eagerly eat anything meaty I feed the tank and after awhile has grown accustomed to foods such as Colorbits (dry pellets) even.

No problems with mine so far. Had it 10 months so far. They love catching amphipods but haven't touched any of my 4 sexy shrimp. They eat everything I feed the tank which are flake, freeze dried plankton, nori, frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, cyclopeeze.

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...cat=500&page=1

samw, that's a great photo. Thanks they are beautiful...
    Toutouche thanks for the link, I'd been looking for it as i'd read it before and was trying to remember why I was hesitant to buy one, it's the micro-crustaceans they need to eat. how do replenish them without a refugium or sump? They also seem prone to eat snails, anyone had their snails eaten by one?

As they are a pair will the male become too territorial, and cause problems?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Tiffster,
    I think the snail thing is more the troublesome snails such as the small Pyrammelid types. I have all kinds of snails in my tank and they don't even look at them. Leopard wrasses are a really beneficial fish to have and are perfectly friendly with everyone!!!! I have also heard that they are one of the good fish to have if you've got a flattie problem.
    As to the feeding thingy, I think you might be out of luck there. although if you want to try, mine eats all kinds of food I feed to the tank very eagerly, so I don't think they'll be relying solely on livestuff.

Thanks Toutouche, I found out that the green ones grow up to 16" and the juveniles they had were 6". I ordered the 'normal' leopard wrasse, should have it in a few weeks. (and the copper-band!!)

Tiff,
    Are you sure they were the Meleagris type? I've never seen one even close to that size!!! Perhaps in the wild they'll grow that big, but just as any other fish that can be rather big in the wild, they often never reach they're full potential size in an aquarium ( unlesss. you get one already full grown and huge when you buy it, but we'r not THAT stupid, are we!!.

The juveniles were 6-7 inches already, so I assume that these guys will get big, even if they only grow a few more inches...
    And no I'm not that 'Blondie' to get an adult of any fish species. I prefer the teenage years, easier to adapt to tank life.
    On the topic of dwarfing due to tank size, how much Will a fish stunt it's growth in comparison to the space it's given?
    And to what degree can that be taken into account?

Tiffy,
    Sorry, I didn't mean you directly... just in general about the size thingy.

About the dwarfing thing, I would say there's no exact formula. Just that on a regular basis, you'll see a fish grow to a certain size then stay like that, while in the wild it can get a lot bigger. It's just something that happens....

Cool, no offense.
    I know that fish do or can dwarf themselves to tank size, but is there any gauge you can use? Ie: a 2' powder blue in a 60gal, what size would you expect it to grow too? (this is just a general qn, not a thing I'm planning on....But I was thnking a 12' Lion in a nano with a school of 6 chromis!!!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast