Question Got this from other post!!

I thought it would be great info for beginners..

How do you position you powerheads! and why?

some say 1 in each back corners facing front.. but why?

post away!!

I have 3 powerheads. Two at each back top corner directed to the opposite front bottom corner. The two streams will converge and create turbulence in the middle. The other PH is directed at the water surface to create ripples/waves, aiding gas exchange.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

doesn't that blow your fish around?

You can never have too much flow, at least not in a home aquarium setting. I figured the fish must be used to MORE flow, being from the ocean. Even with my close to 20 times per hour of flow of total volume, they still have no problem finding a quiet place to sleep at night.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

some corals don't like strong currents.. frogspawn for 1... lol..

whats considered strong lol..

I have 4 power heads + the flow coming into the tank . 2 near the bottom and 2 at the top (one rotates) the fish enjoy swiming in the current - I occasionally catch my tangs swiming toward the powerheads!

The fish in my tank make very good use of the current to move around. They have learned their way around the tank with minimum use of their fins. the yellow tangs in particular love turning side ways in front of the power head output and allowing that current to move them down stream until they get to where they want to be. My tank has 2 - 300 gal/hr and 2 - 400 gal/hr power heads and the input from the sump at about 750 gal/hr net.
    Rob

You learn to postition your corals, the more flow the better and always has been. This helps in many ways one is algie problems as well as one salty dog says the fish love it. And many corals will do well when positioned right , you just turn the ph's off when you feed. A wavemaker would be useless if nothing liked current, and what these do is make alot of
    turbulence in the waters.

stephen
    Stephen

My tank is 5 feet long and I have 1 SeaSwirl at each end facing inward across from each other. These are synchronized to rotate in opposite directions of each other and are always on 24/7. At the sametime I've temporarily added 4 big powerheads, 1 in each corner and facing in straight along the 2 lengths of the tank. These are on timers and connected in pairs. At any given time, there are 2 on. The way I have timed them is the front rightside one and the back leftside on are together on one timer, then the front leftside one and the back rightside one are also together on another timer. The timers are set to go off/on for periods of 1 hour respectively. This way for 1 hour, they push the water to rotate through the tank in one direction, then when the other two come on and the first set goes off, the entire tank gets pushed in the opposite direction in a circular motion throughout the tank. These 4 will eventualy be replaced by a TS24 kitwith 2 Tunze Streams and the controller for them.I have seen that the corals increased their growth speed and the fish absolutely love it playing in all this current. My fish also love to surf the waves so to speak.
    Have you ever noticed how many tighter corals resemble hedges in the sense that they are full and colorful on the outsides all around, yet inside the body, the polyps are usually all thin/withery, or plain dead? This happens because while the outer sides of the coral receives lots of light and nutrients to live and grow, the inside doesn't get as much light and relies only on nutrients that makes it's way into the inside of the body of the coral to survive and flourish. This can only happen with good current in the tank to push through the entire body of the coral and get deep inside of it.

Sounds like a GOOD set up Toutouche. I just plugged in my Wave maker for my 4 power heads and I am surprised at how much stuff in now in the water from the same power heads at the same locations. What a difference it makes to have them going on and off.
    Rob