Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NSW and time delay in adding to tank

I'm getting NSW home delivered from now on and RO, from the guy who delivers to all the RS's. (so I'll be swapping from ASW) and I've read different theories on when and for how long you can use it. (on-line mags, books etc..)
    There seems to be 2 pools of thought.
    1 - use it immediately or wait a minimum of 2 weeks.
    2 - Use at will.
    As he'll deliver large quantities to me and it'll take about 2.5 months for me to get through, what's the best way of storing it and do I need to filter off the dead stuff after a period of time.... say 2 weeks??And would be the best way to do this? And should I use a snail or starfish to test the water too? He said to smell it and that should give an indication of it's suitability if I'm concerned.
    Apparently the water fluctuates from about 1.025 to 1.028 and I plan on diluting with RO or if need be heating it to lower.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ps; Good thing you guys are here or I'd never know what to do, shame you can't help me pick which pair of 67 shoes goes with the outfit I've chosen, or if I need to change the outfit.....I think I'll change my user name to Imelda. And yes I have a verrryyyy understanding b/f!!! Or is that patient????
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Tiff,
    You're starting to worry me!!!!!
    Actually, you seem to have an amazing sense of humour and I like that!!!
    My wife has told me I'm her Roger Rabbit too....
    About the NSW stuff, talk to MomRules and Flame Angel. They're using NSW ( and man!!!... I wish we had it around here too..., apparantly it makes a heck of a difference on everything in the tank).

Heh, thanks.
    That's why I decided to make the change..It'll put all the goodies back into the tank.
    MomRules and Flame Angel where are you???
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I'd recommend you buy a Rubbermaid Brute garbage can. This brand and model is rated food safe in that it doesn't use recycled plastic and won't leach phosphates or other toxins into your water. Then just hook up a small powerhead, a heater and an air bubbler. I use a maxijet powerhead (900 I think it is, doesn't matter) and an air pump with some rigid tubing. As long as you keep the water aerated and moving it will last a very long time.

NSW is the absolute best for your tank. When you get your first batch it's a good idea to do a round of tests though. Often it can be lacking in some things. The ocean has less calcium and alkalinity than we use in our tanks. After mine is delivered I add 2tsp of super buffer and 3tsp of Turbo Calcium. I heat it and aerate it overnight and use it the next day. You don't have to use it right away though, it would be fine indefinitely.
    Susan

And then there is lazy Mom. I just keep mine in 5 gallon water jugs and pour it in as needed. I don't heat it, or buffer it, or aerate it. It seems just fine. I make all my adjustments in the tank, after I have added it. It is a very good idea like Flame says to do a round of tests the first time so you know what you are getting. My water has calcium at 400ppm, but the salinity is usually a little low. Occassionally there are barely detectable phosphates. pH has always been a perfect 8.3.

Your tank will be so happy!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

If you are using natural salt water for it chemical make up rather then its bio make up then you are safe to store it for many months in SEALED glass bottles or food safe containers with NO light. Black glass would be best. You need only aerate it well and heat it up to the correct temp before use.
    Rob

thanks, I've always used a 90litre tub with a lid to mix the salt before with a heater and 3 air-stones to aerate but no p/h in it. Not recycled.
    I've only done 1, 10%w/change so far, but I saw all these critters in the tank with in a day. (so cool!!!) Will these guys die off in storage? He delivers enough for 2 months at a time, and I was wondering if the water would foul if these critters die off?
    I store them in 25 litre 'jerry cans' ( plastic drums with screw top lids and outlets at the bottom to pour from, the RS's use these.) 5 are light blue and 2 are white. They aren't in the darkness, that'd be impossible to find a dark spot. They're in indirect sunlight, but it's still very bright. Why do they have to be stored in darkness?
    The calcium issue is interesting as I tested mine this morn and found it was at 400ppm, Alk 10dkh, Ph 7.8 (may have overfed the last few days, oops!) And I was going to test the NSW in the tub for the calc levels. Also the s.grav is at 1.026 in this batch and he said that the s.grav fluctuates from 1.026 to 1.028 and is 'naturally' higher. Do I need to dilute with RO and/or add salt, or heat it to aid evaporation to maintain consistent levels? Or am I bothering too much and the inhabitants will cope and be fine with s.grav fluctuations?

yes the critters will likely die off in sealed storage and fowl the water to some degree. so if you were to want to store it for a long period of time you would have to get the living stuff out of it. But that would defeat the purpose if the bio make up is part of what you want.
    Rob

Ok, so the rock and the hard place i'm sitting in now......I have no option but to get it in large batches. Would it be better to not seal the containers?

I don't know how your supplier handles the water that he is providing so it is difficult to direct you. I do know that ALL water parks and or public aquariums that draw their water from a natural source sterilize it completely before it enters their systems. This being the case it would make sense that they use natural water for 2 reasons. One, it is likely cheaper then making it themselves given the scale of their systems. 2, the water would be of consistent CHEMICAL makeup. So if the bio makeup of the water is what you want there is not much you can do except treat the water like it is alive ... because it is ... and aerate and circulate it in an effort to maintain that bio load. However if it is the CHEMICAL make up that you want then I would filter out the critters and other particles in the water before storage. Also keep in mind that when the book I refer to says sealed .. it means SEALED!!! So if you have no way to truly seal the holding containers you will not be able to store it for extended periods of time and will have no choose but to keep what ever is in the water alive. Note that this author, and a few others consider and treat natural sea water to be a living organism.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast