Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen and Ph??

Oxygen and Ph??

What's the relationship between oxygen and Ph?
    I know that increasing 02 in the tank will affect ph.
    But what is the reverse chemical process with ph and it's effect on 02 and how?
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Morning Tiffany ... Adding oxygen that becomes dissolved in the water raises PH. It's another reason for having good circulation. It's even better if that circulation method brings water up from the bottom of the tank
    Rob

Thanks, and good morning to you too.. Can you tell I'm back at Uni and thus the impossibly late nights..
    I understand the concept you are talking about, and what I was curious about is how PH will affect the 02. For every action there's a reaction, therefore, if the ph is low will the 02 be affected, or is this more of an Alk issue as it's the buffer for ph? So for Ph to drop then would it in this circumstance have something to do with the alk as well to subsequently affect the 02??
    It's just that everybody is concerned with the 02 affecting the Ph and not the Ph effecting the 02. If it does how does it happen??
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I believe excess CO2 in your water causes it to become more acidic, thus lowering of pH. Improving circulation can help get rid of the CO2 which results in increased pH. Excess CO2 can also fuel algae growth.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Tiff,
    GoSuv is correct. Matter of fact, Autobahn on this board has a cronic high PH in his tank for some reason no one has figured out, and has been dosing CO2 for quite awhile to help bring it down. You might also notice during winter months ( although being in Australia, you might keep your windows open even during the winter) that the PH is naturally lower due to the house being closed up and a higher CO2 content ( another reason why many people feel more sluggish during the winter). Some people, and I plan on trying this as soon as I have a chance, run an airline to the outside of the house to draw in fresher air. I have noticed when I have a party or a large group of people over, the PH in the tank is lower than normal. The Alk however, should stay relatively unaffected by all this, at least on a short term basis. If your PH is always too low, it can affect the Alk too. Remember, everything is inter related and affect one another.

Autobahn .... Do you have any dolomite in your tank? I set up a new tank once and back then we always used a layer of crushed dolomite covered with coral sand over an under gravel filter plate. The dolomite was to help keep PH up in the long term. In any case this tank never saw any fish because it also had a very high PH that could not be corrected by normal means. In the end the dolomite had to be removed and that corrected the issue. I have not used dolomite in my tanks since that experience.
    Rob

Rob,
    I'll answer for him. No he doesn't have any Dolomite in there. He uses the regular CaribSea type sand.

Was just wondering because of my own experience. that was the only tank I ever had where high PH was an issue. I will guess that he has already tested the water supply and done an dissolved oxygen test? Dose he use Ozone? Over use of Ozone can do that if the tank dose not need it.
    Rob

Thanks GoSAV, As I posted the Qn I realized I knew the answer, but it was too late to change it or delete it....
    I realize that everything effects eachother.

Toutouche to quote our venerable ex-pri-minister whilst in office, " Melbourne is the Arse end of the world" that being, as we are at the 'bottom' of AUS. we do have winters, and to us they are cold....the temp can get as low as 16cel, (shiver!!) I think that's about 50 farenheit... But yes I do still keep a window open to let in the fresh air. My b/f thinks i'm a bit loopy as he thinks it defeats the purpose of the heater.......

Originally posted by tiffany
    the temp can get as low as 16cel, (shiver!!) I think that's about 50 farenheit.
    16??!!!! ... and not even in the negatives!!!!!! Paahhh!!!!
    Try -40celsius!!!!!! Now... THAT'S a winter!!!!!!! :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast