Question FOWLR and porcupine puffer questions

Im going to be starting up my first marine tank soon. After reading Robert Fenners book "The Concientous Marine Aquarist" as a starting point, Ive decided to go with a fish only tank so that I can get a porcupine puffer (I love puffers).

Im going to have some live rock in the tank as well, for a more natural look, but no corals or invertebrates (the puff will eat it obviously ).

My question concerns filtration, I currently have a new emperor 400 hang on filter with those bio-wheel things. Ive heard a few people say that the bio-wheels are bad for saltwater tanks, but I wasnt sure if they meant reef tanks or all types. Iis this true with "fish only with live rock"? what about a fish only system?

Ill also be running a seperate canister filter like a rena 3, I just like extra filtration.

Also, does anyone have any information on keeping porcupine puffers? like water parameters and such?

Thanks for any help

Truth be told i did lots of reading.. and lots of fish only tanks had skimmers .5-1 pound of live rock per gallon.. canister filters..

My next tank is going to be fish only.. i want a Pacasso trigger..

Oh, Ill be running a skimmer for sure, I just wasnt too sure about the bio-wheels....

1 pound per gallon? :O damn, isnt that the same as full reefs?

Originally posted by BlueDSM
    Oh, Ill be running a skimmer for sure, I just wasnt too sure about the bio-wheels....

1 pound per gallon? :O damn, isnt that the same as full reefs?
    1 pound per gallon may seem like a lot, but bear in mind that the rock is your main source of filtration. I've known of tanks that run no skimmer, no canister filter, no sump, just rock and power heads, that are perfectly healthy. But IMHO, you can never have too much filtration.
    "Is that rate in canadian dollars?"....Hmmm...well, what country are you calling?