Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Closed-loop system

Just when I thought that I had all of my planning done, I have discovered what seems to be the perfect system for me, only I don't understand how it works?

I'm planning a 90gal starphire with approx 35gal sump. I am a huge fan of having all components hidden. I've been reading alot about closed-loop systems which appear to have no powerheads in the tank. I like this.

Could anyone please explain, or refer me to a thread, link or site which explains how the closed-loop works... what's required in terms of added hardware. Diagrams would be a bonus!

Thanks in advance
    Jeremy

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hopefully this will answer some questions:

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com...losedloop.html
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'm not an expert on this they will post soon I'm sure but a closed loop can be done in two ways.
    1 drill your tank at each end run you pvc pipeing and hook a pump in the middle (like a mag 7 or 9 ) this will give you the closed loop.
    2 you can not drill the tank and use pvc pipeing in the same way but the intake and exit are plumed inside the tank like a hang on filter. ( sort off )

hopefully that helps a little
    stephen
    Stephen

liv
    i like the idea of not having all those awfull powerheads in there... hmmm.. next tank.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

see there's one of the experts with the good advice
    stephen
    Stephen

Thanks for the speedy replies...So if I understand it correctly, I would have my overflow/durso draining to the sump, then a return from the sump, and separately you would run the closed loop with it's dedicated pump and this would provide the circulation as opposed to PH's ?

well, theres many takes on this and in all honesty on a 90g a closed loop aint really worth it and the reason I stated this is,
    even without powerheads you will still have PVC or lockline inside the tank directing the flow. There still will be something visable inside there. You will have a pump already from your sump to your tank with 2 static lines in. If you plumb a closed loop[non drilled] you will have both the return and intake PVC lines inside the tank. If you plumb a closed loop drilled you will still have the intake and bulkheads visable as well as the other static[from sump to tank] returns. On a ninety do you really want to big pumps running and all that PVC? I just tore down my 90g with 45g sump and just used a good return pump and 2 MAXI JETS 1200. The newer version of the MAXI has a lot smaller footprint and once covered in corraline you'll not even notice them. I will plumb my new tank with closed loop because its a lot bigger and needs the extra flow 500g.

Point taken, I guess on a smaller tank it would be excessive...
    Back to the drawing board!

On the other hand, I have a 90 AllGlass tank. I found that the overflow maxed out with my MAG 12 and once calculations are done (head loss), I only have about 800 to 900 g/h flow. I wanted more flow in the 90 so we added an Iwaki 55 on a closed loop. I have 2 pipes (3/4 inch) coming down each back corner of the tank. As the corraline covers these pipes, they are hardly noticeable. One pipe is my intake (which draws water from about 12 inches down and the other is pipe goes to the bottom of the tank and then runs across the top of the sand. This pipe has a series of holes so that there is flow up and around the back of the rocks. Even with all this, I am finding some spots have little or no flow.

Vickie

I beg to differ on this one. Sorry Johnny

It is still helpful to have a closed loop since you can feed the pump output to a SCWD and split it to have a surging effect. With powerheads you are limited to electrical wave timers which reduces the useful cycles of your PHs.

Plus, a return line from sump + 2 MJ1200 isn't going to have enough flow for a 90g anyway. You either need more PHs (ugly), or use one of the Tunze systems (still ugly).

Perhaps it is just me, I want some wicked flow in my future 90g and I am planning on not just one, but TWO closed loops

I plan to have 20x to 30x of tank volume flow per hour.

Originally posted by Johnny Rock
    well, theres many takes on this and in all honesty on a 90g a closed loop aint really worth it and the reason I stated this is,
    even without powerheads you will still have PVC or lockline inside the tank directing the flow. There still will be something visable inside there. You will have a pump already from your sump to your tank with 2 static lines in. If you plumb a closed loop[non drilled] you will have both the return and intake PVC lines inside the tank. If you plumb a closed loop drilled you will still have the intake and bulkheads visable as well as the other static[from sump to tank] returns. On a ninety do you really want to big pumps running and all that PVC?
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast