Thread: Alk and Inverts

Alk and Inverts

I know that Alk affects the health of snails, shrimps, inverts etc, but what is it about Alk that performs this life saving service, (aside from buffering ph) and how does it do it??
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Beside buffering pH, alk also helps calcification for animals that need it. This includes snails, shrimps, SPS, LPS, clams, coralline algae etc.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Ok, thanks
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Adaquate alkalinity is what allows the animals to do whatever they do to absorb calcium and other elements and minerals to grow and function. It does more than help, it allows the process to occur. In my opinion it is the single most important parameter to check regularly in a reef.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Originally posted by reefmutt
    Adaquate alkalinity is what allows the animals to do whatever they do to absorb calcium and other elements and minerals to grow and function. It does more than help, it allows the process to occur. In my opinion it is the single most important parameter to check regularly in a reef.
    I agree totally. Last year I lost a few shrimp due to fluctuations in alk, the fluctuations caused them to pre-molt and die.

I check the Alk regularly and agree with you, I was just after the chemical reasoning behind the facts.