Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question What's wrong with my Anthia's??

My Anthia's, has started acting strangely lately.
    About 4 days ago I noticed that his dorsal fin and pectoral fins have black bands around the edges, and on the dorsal fin the black is spreading further down the fin and loosing color.
    He's also spending time in one certain spot in the tank, at times, not always, (near where I feed them) and it looks like he's having convulsions.
    He's also not eating as voraciously as the others, and when fed looks a bit dis-orientated, and seems to have trouble at times figuring out where the food is.
    I was thinking he wasn't getting enough food, but it seems he's not as interested and eating half the amount, and supper picky about what he'll eat. but still eating.
    What's wrong with him.
    I can't get a good photo of him, to show b4 and after.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

liv
    how old is he ?
    you could try boosting your food with garlic &/or selcon.

helped my little guys out.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

That had crossed my mind, but he's only about 3 inches now, so isn't at adult size yet.
    I've got some Kiolic Garlic, I'll give it a go.
    I thought the discoloration may be due to lack of nutrients but I give them a varied diet. I also though he may lack the ability to digest them ie: if he was cyanide caught, but this RS won't buy cyanide caught fish, then again, how do they really know.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

liv
    ya...could be cyanide.

how long have you had him ? i read that cyanide caught fish usually give out symptoms within the first month or 2.

I feed my anthias with mysis shrimp boosted with selcon, phyto and garlic. I put everything in a small container, add water from my tank, let the whole thing sit for a good 15min. then feed it... they go crazy when I feed them. I also like to give it flakes. so far, it has not much interest in the nori, except taking tiny bites and usually chucking it back.

I was reading up on anthias and they were stating that when the males are trying to mate, they will ofter loose weight, change colors and look just plain crappy. reason for this is that he chaces de females around all day and is just exhausted.

they also state that if more then 1 male is in the same tank, the weaker one might change into a female and the transition might/will change his colors.

read article: http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...el_030401.html

very interesting...

liv

I've only the one and he's an Anthia's Squamipinnis, so unless he's trying to mate with a goby or copperband.........
    I'd done some reading on them prior and found the info fascinating too, and thank you for the link.
    Today he ate normally and is swimming around normally, I'm thinking the 'spasms' were a 'tantrum' for food. But the black is still a mystery. The mating idea is interesting.
    I have some before and after photos. The after photos are not that good as he's hard to photograph, and he's pink and purple and looks orange in the shots, and the before shots are in the bag from the shop. (I found his markings fascinating so I took a photo when I could..)

This is the 'bag shot', note the lovely spots of color on his fins and the prominent stripes.
    He doesn't look to happpy in this one...

And the after shot, the black is hard to see, and is subdued in the photo. There is also signs of fin rot, or the Coral Beauty nipping at his dorsal fin..........:guns:

All of that strange stuff doesn't make any sense to me in terms of a pattern of illness. The black marks are odd- I've never seen this on my squamipinnis, nor the convulsions. To me, convulsions = death (eventually, usually from some neurological thing- especially when it acts disoriented around food). However, Anthias are schooling fish and I don't think they will ever act normally without having a few others to school with. The color changes could be due to it maturing or changing sex. Generally the females and subordinate males don't get those elongated spines on the dorsal fin that I see in your photo from the tank- it's hard to tell if he had them in the bag shot, but he's definitely a full male now. If you can get more, get some females- only females since no matter what happens, you'll always end up with a male as the dominant female changes. I'd bet that if he doesn't have some brain thing, he'd perk up dramatically with a few chicks around
    I also find that anthias often just rest in a spot when the "provider" isn't around and then jump into action when they see you coming with food. I quess since they are such high energy fish in the wild and need so much food, in a tank where they cannot feed constantly, they don't stay in mid water all the time- only when it's really worth it.
    I wouldn't be suprised if most of the symptoms were from lonelyness induced stress.
    Like most men, anthias are happiest when they have lots of company and lots of food - you should be happy they don't watch t.v....
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Or the football....
    I've read different theories on keeping several Anthia's in one tank and the general consensus seems to be 1 male to 8 females. and that they are better kept alone in a tank, due to the territorial nature.
    He did have the 2 elongated dorsal-fins when I bought him. I've not seen one with 2 before. But that does mean he is definitely a male.
    The link that Liv gave sums it up very well.
    He has perked up, and is eating well, and swimming around, but does look lost sometimes, the black is still there though.

liv
    i dont know if its the same kind.. but I got an anthias too..
    see pic.. let me know if its the same species, i'll take a closer pic if needed. mine also has the 2 front spikes on its dorsal fin.

Oh .. and in case Johnny replies.. I know.. the frags are on the bottle.. but the pic was taken last week.. they are not there anymore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast