Talking Cleaner Wrasses do work!!!

I'd heard alot of negative info on the 'dubious ability' of the cleaner wrasse to rid ich from a fish, and I had the opportunity to witness it fist hand.
    My new baby Copper-band, had a touch of ich (badly packaged and stressed from it) and the wrasse has removed the spot and is monitoring the Copper-band and keeping the wound clean. In fact I just saw him picking something of the c/band, (no idea what) and what a fascinating sight.
    This is a wonderful and interesting hobby that never ceases to amaze me..
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

ijo
    tiffany... I've also heard they do a great job at cleaning up the parasites in a tank... the problem we have with these fish is they are known to only eat these parasites... once they are gone... the fish will soon follow.

On the other hand.. the Cleaner Gobies(blue or gold) are known to do the same great job. These fish will last much longer than the cleaner wrasse as they also eat prepared foods. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

IJO

I HAVE ONE CLEANER WRASSE AND HE EATS LIKE A PIG (BRINE SHRIMP, FLAKES ETC.) PLUS HE EAT PARASITE OFF OTHER FISH AS WELL. SO I GUESS THAT HE WILL LIVE FOR A WHILE!!

ijo
    thats great news Marie1Le(looks like you had your caps lock on)... Its always nice to see a fish eat prepared foods. I also have a madarin who is now eating mysis

IJO

REALLY IS THAT MANDARIN FOR SALE

liv
    ya i think he sells just about anything in his tanks.... but he wont budge on that huge crab..

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Unhappy MAREILLE

If your not aware, leaving your cap locks on[capital letters] is the same thing as yelling in computer language and some find it a bit rude.Just to let you know.
    On the cleaner wrasse another problem is that if they do survive and become adult, it has been well documented that in Aquariums they can become very harrasive to the point of killing fish by stress and have even been known to attacks clams and such. They are well needed on the reef and 1 cleaner wrasse serves a large area of fish so if its removed can cause serious problems with other fish dieing because they can't be cleaned. It is frowned on in the reefing hobby to keep this wrasse.

didn't know for the capital letter, sorry

wow i can believe how computer language change so much, i guess we have to learn more about that !!!!

anyways, my cleaner fish is pretty nice with other fish will see what would happen...

ijo
    liv: hehe your right.. thats about the only guy thats not forsale

Marie1Le: yes the mandarin is forsale...http://aquariacanada.com/osCommerce/...products_id=54

IJO

I've had the wrasse for about a year and he spent half of that alone in the tank. Eats everything and cleans. He's also an adult and shows no signs of harassing anything. I was after the cleaner goby, but they're hard to get here, nearly impossible as with the cleaner shrimps.
    I didn't know that c/wrasses were a no-no, here they are everywhere....and everyone says they don't do their job.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)