Custom tanks......?

When you're planning on having a custom tank made do you have to have the specifics of what you want OR will the person making it be able to advise you?

Cool

both! but its good to know what you want first and usually the experienced builder can help with advice. I'm building my own[brave soul] thru all the research I've done over the years.

Thanks
    I have a friend is getting ready to set up a tank and at first thought of a standard tank but now wants it in a specific place and I don't think a standard will fit.

I can't really help her was I know 0 about plumbing (neither does she) so that's why I was wondering about tank design.

Debbie,
    I will be building my own with a friend who also has a tank when I end up finally upgrading to a bigger size. We will actually be building both our tanks. If there's anything you or your friend want to know about the plumbing, setting up, designing, etc... of a custom tank don't hesitate to call me. Tell your friend to do the same. I have helped lots of people setup their tanks. If you don't have my number from awhile ago, PM me.

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Debbie,
    I will be building my own with a friend who also has a tank when I end up finally upgrading to a bigger size. We will actually be building both our tanks. If there's anything you or your friend want to know about the plumbing, setting up, designing, etc... of a custom tank don't hesitate to call me. Tell your friend to do the same. I have helped lots of people setup their tanks. If you don't have my number from awhile ago, PM me.
    That is very nice of you, I'll tell her. The place where she plans on putting her tank has limited space but I understand why she wants to put it there.

Let me first explain the room which she is putting it in so you have an idea of what type of design would accentuate it. She has an indoor pool, on one side is a rock-structure made into a waterfall and the room is very tropical looking. She wants to put the tank between the 2 doors, she has about 18-20" width and 4-5ft lengths.

She will be limited for space and has to figure out what design would give her the largest amount of tank space.

I don't think I have your number anymore so you can give that to me if you wouldn't mind and I'll pass it on to
    her.

one question Touche... when you say plumbing... what do you mean exactly? (drilling?)
    Thanks
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Conan,
    I mean "plumbing" which would mean what to do for the overflow design, running the pipeline to the filter system ( sump, skimmer, Calcium reacot, Kalk reactor, etc) return lines, etc... This also entails drilling if need be. I don't do it myself but know a custom tank manufacturer that does the drilling. He built my current tank, but my next one, I want to do myself with my friend.

Debbie,
    I'll send you a PM with my number.
    ....indoor pool eh??? Maybe I should become friends with her!!!!!: At least she'll never have to worry about any humidity problem....
    Do you know if she has access to a water supply that could be hidden near/under the tank? If not, is it doable to install a water supply? I guess this would all be logistics to work out at the time of doing the tank... What area does she live in again?

and for and overflow box, should you get a small one that makes about a quarter or the tank height or should you get one that makes the entire height of the tank (kinda like an in-tank fuge/overflow?)
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Conan,
    It's a personal preferance and depends on what you want it to do. If done right, both will work as good.

Originally posted by Toutouche
    Debbie,
    I'll send you a PM with my number.
    ....indoor pool eh??? Maybe I should become friends with her!!!!!: At least she'll never have to worry about any humidity problem....
    Do you know if she has access to a water supply that could be hidden near/under the tank? If not, is it doable to install a water supply? I guess this would all be logistics to work out at the time of doing the tank... What area does she live in again?
    She's in Hudson. Water supply? I imagine because it's in the pool room and on the other side (directly outside the pool room) is a *huge* bar.

She's having a custom stand built for it by one of her woodworkers so I'm pretty sure it would be built around the tank and its needs.

This house is beyond anything you can imagine, when we drove up a X-Mas for her party we were like "OMG IS THAT A HOTEL?" <not a word or exageration, it is absolutely spectacular. And this tank will have to complement the house!