Live/Base Rock Combo

I'm looking at starting a 77 gallon tank soon and don't want to blow my budget all on live rock.  I'm looking at getting 100lbs of rock and my question is what combination of live/base rock would be suitable enough to provide the filtration required for my tank and to be able to seed all the base rock. ?

I'm guessing this question doesn't have a simple answer....

Nick.

======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Re: Live/Base Rock Combo

I would do a 60/40 split....60%live rock...if you must go with less, then try 50/50.  Try to hide the base rock under the live rock.  Within months, the base rock will get green,purple pink etc.  Within a few weeks though, the pourous base rock will harbour the beneficial bacteria you need for filtration.  Not in the amounts of the LR but it will be functioning.  If you must use base rock, try to grab some established rock from someone to add with it.  Even just a few peices of rock that's full of critters would help.  Also, if you can get some live sand from someone from a tank, it will boost the system.  Hope this helps.  
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

awesome, just the answer I was looking for, thanks !
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

IMHO base rock is usually a lot denser then live rock, by the time you take that into consideration it's not that much cheaper then buying live rock. If you purchase some very big porous pieces then you may not need 100 lbs worth, do not over stock the rock. Leave plenty of room for water flow and the fish to hide
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

I agree with Daniel on the amout of rock.  I find some overstock their tanks with rocks.  I place what ever I feel looks good in the tank and then the rest go into the sump or refugium.  In my set up, I have about 75 pounds of LR in the display tank, and about 40 pounds in the sump.  The new 90 gallon refugium will probably have another 40-50 pounds.

Try to get some large, oddly shaped, and pourous FIGI rock.  

And yes...most base rock is very dense.  If budget is the main concern, buy a good chunk of your rock that you can afford, then add rock later.  Watch for people selling their rock and other deals and add it as you go.

OK...no more aggreeing with Daniel, back to my old self.  HAHAHAHA....just had to agree once Daniel but no more....
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

in setting up my tank, i bought what I thought was a nice layout of rock. What is happening now, is that when i buy coral, some come on fairly sized pieces of rock, so I have to restructure to accommodate the new piece. I've probably added 10 to 12 lbs of rock, just buying coral. So, don't buy all the rock you want, allow for some that will come with the coral u buy, ie mushrooms, polyps and leathers and allow room for growth. In hind sight I think this method would apply unless you're doing all stony coral which doesn't come on rock.

Good point....