Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advise or Suggestions !!!

Hi I'm thinking about changing my 90 gallon over to my new 135 gallon.Any suggestions about the sandbed,in moving that?Or if i was going to go bare bottom,how would i go about not losing all my critters?

Thanks,

Marcel
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

liv
    i dont think most sand critters will be happy without sand.. other then on the rocks.. as for moving live sand.. i think its as simple as scooping and filling.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ATC
    pluff - just remember that the 135 will cycle if you transfer the sand bed. If you went bare bottom, you could move some of your sandbed to a refugium.
    Aven

As long as you keep the sandbed damp there may not be much in the way of cycling. Mine never cycled, and I got 4-6 inches from the south shore, drove it home in the back of the van in buckets, dumped it in the bare tank three hours later, and the next day added water. Absolutely no ammonia ever. There were lots of critters in it too.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Go with a thin layer of sand in the main tank...keeping it in water for the transfer....then do as ATC suggests and have a refugium with a 4-5 inch DSB....I have a 5 inch DSB in my refugium....you will get some die off in the move but not that bad if you keep the sand wet....Not a hard move to make...I've done it three times with little effect...

Good Luck
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

You can also have a remote DSB separate from the tank and refugium.
    As the different layers of sand have different densities/sand grading, for a reason, moving the SB would upset this system, and I don't know what the implications of this would be. I'm sure someone here would be able to answer that qn.
    I also believe that a 2" layer of 00 sand will do the Nitrate job, so maybe only move the top 2" of 00 sand..
    Just a few suggestions.....
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

If it were me moving the sand bed I would try to move it with out mixing it up to much from top to bottom. Once the water is all out of the tank I would use something like a dust pan to scope it up and place it in its new location. I would try to place it as much as is possible the same way it was from top to bottom.Sort of like rebuilding a cut up cake if you get my drift. In any case you should be ready for and anticipate a cycle even if only short lived.
    Rob

Hello

I will never understand why anyone would have a remote sand bed. The job of a DSB is the reduction of waste in the tank Therefore it should be in the tank. If you remote it, you still have to feed it or it wont be much of a sand bed. Feed= more waste the very thing you are trying to eliminate with the sand bed in the first place.

As for the removal of the sand bed. All that is needed is about the top inch of the exsisting bed. This will be more then enough to seed a new bed in a new tank. Once you distrube the lower layers of the bed, it's toast no matter how you slice it.

Stan

Cool aquanut

do you still believe in DSB's or what is your oppion on this subject? Not sure which way to go on my 500g.

Hello

Oh yes I believe in them. Set up properly they work very well indeed. I'm just not a fan of them being a remote bed. Just remember sand particale size and the infauna in the bed will make or brake your bed. Also you pretty much have to add yearly recharge kits to keep it functioning properly.

Stan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast