Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question stocking a 46 bowfront reef

im just wondering about the maximum amount of fish i can put in a 46gallon bowfront.

tank specs:
    46 gal bowfront
    70 lbs live rock(very porus fiji so not alot of water displacement. LFS lets you hand pick )
    75lbs (4 inches) carib sea aragonite
    double flourescent strip (upgrading soon to pc)
    rena filstar xp3 and 2 powerheads on timers

i plan to add small fish like red lipped blenny, bicolor blenny, firefish, mandarin (in a year or so), 2 percs, 6 line wrasse, yellow tang. maybe not all of these fish. maybe somthing different. my lfs told me i can keep most of these fish plus add 3 baby yellow tangs. i thought this was too much. keep in mind that all of these fish are going to be added over a year or so. also im buying them less than 2 inches in size. i know they will grow but im expecting the bioload will grow slow as well. just wondering if anyone will please give me some advice.
    show me some love:beer:

any other comments would be greatly appreciated too. thanks

I'd go with no more than five small fish in total.

Do some research on the Blennies, they may not get along together.

The firefish, percs, and six-line are all good choices.

I'd stay away from the Mandarin unless you add a refugium, as he may very well starve. I also wouldn't keep Tangs (even if you get them small) in anything less than a 75 gallon.

thanks zoo..is there any other kind of medium sized fish i can add besides yellow tangs? id really like to have a main attraction. what about a pair of maroons? coral beauty? somthing with color. i'm so peed off! i could have bought a 72 bowfront for an extra $300, and now im paying the price. :mad2:

How about bangai cardinal, yellow wrasses, clown goby, flame angle, Royal Gramma.....
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

i thought i read somewhere that yellow tangs are happy in a 40 gal. mines a 46

now i dont want to bend the rules, and i dont doubt that zoo knows his stuff, i just really want a tang:grr:

I've seen people put yellow tangs in a 33 gallon tank before,with no problems at all.

pluff
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

now thats what i need to hear!! udaman!! keep it in the short grass:bounce:

There's been a very active discussion over on RC about tank sizes for tangs. The prevailing view is that Tangs need at least a 75G tank but preferably a 120G (or even larger with 5'-6' or more of length). The trouble isn't bioload but territoriality and the Tang's need for swimming room. I know some people keep them in smaller tanks, but it doesn't seem to be a good idea. They tend to stay small in the small tank but that is likely due to stunted growth, not a healthy situation.

In terms of other fish, I've got a slightly smaller tank than yours (29G) and looked hard at clowns, dwarf angels (I'll likely be getting a cherub angel), yellow assessor, flame hawk, various gobies, Fridmani Pseudochromis, blue-green reef chromis. and some of the ones mentioned above. If my tank were in your range, I'd probably have opted for two Clarki clowns plus 3 other small fish, the choice depending on whether I was going to keep shrimp and what type of corrals I was interested in.

Good luck with your planning.
    Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast