Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question best compact skimmer for a 46

whats the best compact hang on skimmer for my 46? $100-150 range i was looking a this one. http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...talogno=ps-rsp

Sorry about the link...im fairly new to these forums and did'nt realize that i was posting ac's competition. i will repost a revised message, so moderators can remove this one as they wish.

Aquaman,
    Don't worry. You have to realize there is a big difference to using a pic from somewhere just to ask information and posting a direct advertisement out of spite!!!
    I think everyone on this board is starting to get a tad paranoid over this subject.

Hi aquaman, I have that skimmer on my 60 gal. I've had to get replacement O rings for the collection cup as the original one streched and caused leakage. If you don't replace the collection cup just right it will leak. It's also louder than I would have liked.Once you get the flow adjusted (a bit of a fiddle) it works well. It's small size means it has to be cleaned more often. The good thing about it is it's narrow and fits behind my tank which is close to the wall. :fish3:

i havent heard much good things about that skimmer. i have a bak pak 2r on my 35g and i love it.

I agree with Atlantic. I haven't heard anything good about the Prism. I personally use a CPR Bac Pac with a maxijet 1200. I find the skimmer does pull out some good sludge.

If you ever go to Reef Central, take a gander at the classifieds. The bac pacs usually sell for about ~$50US.

thanks guys. nice to see someone else from newfoundland online.
    what about seaclone?

If I had to choose between Prism and Seaclone, I would choose a Prism.

ive got the prizm pro deluxe picked it up on a forum like this for $75 under a year old. look for something like that its doing a great job on my 66gal
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

The prism is not a very good skimmer. It is kind of loud, doesn't pull out a lot of skimmate, and it is fiddly to adjust.

If you do get one, make sure you clean the collection cup often (every 3-4 days), and do a thoroughout washing of the whole skimmer every month or two. Drop your algae magnet in the hard to reach areas and wipe everything clean. Soak the thing in diluted white vinegar to dissolve calcium buildup.

Remember to wet the O-rings before you put everything back together. Dry O-rings are easily stretched and damaged.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast