Question Whats better, JBJ powerhead or Maxi-jet

basicly i only need to know if anyone has had any problems with the suction cups on either. the JBJ's cups look kind of crappy. just give me an overall review. thanks

ijo
    thats a tough one... they are both nice powerheads... if you plan on adding these to a wavemaker.. go with the maxi-jet... if your looking for ~300 GPH.... I would gow ith the maxi again... if you want a ton of flow and like the idea of a dual output... go with the JBJ 530... its like having 2 maxi 1200's set on a 90 degree...

As for the suctrion cups... the jbj's have 4 of them and they seem to hold it well... its not as nice as the clip that comes with the maxi but I've been running a couple jbj's for 2 months or so and like what I see.... ohh.. one more... the venturi on the JBJ could of been better built(not an issue as I do not use them).

HTH

IJO

No experience with the JBJ's, but my experience with the MJ's have been mixed. Sure they are usually reliable, but I had a MJ600 died on me two weeks ago. It was 1.5 years old. Don't know if the fact that I had put it on a UPS caused its early demise. Or it maybe just bad luck I guess.

The MJ1200's have been wonderful, except that the fanned nozzle attachment was too loose and it blow right off when I started the pump. Had to hold it in place using a rubberband.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

I have used both and have to say go with the Maxi-Jets. The JBJ has a novel idea with the dual output but the suction cups don't stay stuck, and after 2 weeks in the tank the pump was getting loud as I have to think it was just getting a small buildup of crap on the impeller.

Maxi-Jets IMO are by far the best choice not only in preformance but in methods of attachments as well.
    Your Source For Live Marine Food

well done...thank you..i will soon order my ph's from AC

My JBJ 530's have been in running for a couple months now. They are quiet for me, and I haven't cleaned them yet. The suction cups are holding too. Remember guys and gals, you have to scrape the glass with a razor blade to get suction cups to hold. Not just a scraper but a razoer blade. Then scrub the area too. I never have a problem with suctions cups as a result.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

good tips...thanks:beer: