questions about quarantine tank / sump

I have just finished cycling my tank, and now I'm ready to move on to the next step.   I have a 55 gallon tank with 10 gallon sump.   I used two yellow tailed damsels to cycle my tank.   Before I go any further I was wondering if I could get some advice or feedback.   I plan on setting up a bigger sump / refugium that will use live sand / live rock / and macroalgae to aid in filtering my tank.    I also plan on setting up a quarantine tank using O.S.T./Hyposalinity Treatment to eliminate the possiblity if ick.   Of course, now i have to catch the damsels and put them in the quarantine tank.  I did not do the smart thing and doe this before hand So to the questions  

Is anyone familiar with this that can give me some pro or cons?

What is the best way to catch the damsels?  I've read that some people used a trap.  Where could I get one or is there a DYI trap?

Does anyone have a DYI below tank sump/ refugium plan that I can follow or does aquaria.ca sell one?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ijo

Re: questions about quarantine tank / sump

Welcome to the board bkelly

I also cycled my main tank with damsels... and yeah.. their still in there.  I do plan on using a trap to catch these guys.  You have 2 choices... use a trap or get ready to take 95% of your rock out of the tank.

Here is a little somehting I found online
    [CUT]
    You can make a trap out of a clear plastic soda bottle (1 pint or thereabouts). Remove the cap. Cut off the top just below the shoulder, so it looks like a funnel. Invert this "funnel" back into the bottle (so the neck is inside the bottle), use a hot ice pick or nail to make 3 holes through both layers of plastic, be careful and don't take the holes too large. Insert pieces of toothpicks through the holes to hold the 2 pieces together. Drop a few bits of food into the bottle and submerge. You can attach fishing floats if you want to catch surface feeders, set it on top of plants to catch mid level feeders, or place it on the bottom to catch bottom feeders. Don't feed the fish awhile before using.
    [/CUT]

Sump/Refugium Question
    Aquaria Canada does not sell the plans... only the sump.. we currently have a couple 33 gallon in stock.  You might be able to use these pics for reference on your DYI

The water comes from the main tank and into the top of the sump... it then goes through the first eggcrate section(you can throw your filter media in this section).  The water then passes under the eggcrate into the next couple chambers(space for carbon, filterfloss, sponge, liverock etc) and then to the final section(has enough space for a skimmer) the water goes back to the main tank though the 1 inch return.  You could easily throw a small tank on top of the 2 chambers and use this as a refugium.  I'll post pics as soon as I get one of these guys into action.

Here is a link to a DIY sump... (I really like this one)

Hope this helps answer a few of your questions... if you have any more... just ask

IJO

Looks great, I'll check out the link also but the 33 gallon sump looks like it will be perfect.   Going to try the trap and deal with the damsels later this week    Appreciate your help, and the fact you started aquaria.ca   ;D

I had posted a drawing of a simple sump layout on another posting on here....the link is

DYI Sump

It's under the DIY postings....

Good Luck! 8)

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

Mouse... i edited the link in your post...  ;D

Thanks for the info guys, I'm going to attempt to build it after I catch those damsels.