Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for the perfect combination...

I was just wondering if anyone could let me know what the best combination of Fish you can get in your tank. Which fish accept other fish in the same territory, and which fish don't. I would like to have as much variety as possible, so if people can just tell me which fish they have in their tanks, I can base my decision on that

Thanx
    Have you hugged your fish today?

ijo

Re: Looking for the perfect combination...

If your just starting out in marine setups, I would sugest getting hardy fish like Damsels, Clowns(Tank raised), Spotted Cardinal, Blennies, Basslets, Gobies(most varieties) to name a few.

Once you gain some experience on keeping your water quality in tune you can start hosting some of the other more sensitive fish and corals.

P.S. *I started out with 5 Blue Damsels and a pair of Tomatoe clowns. *(The damsels really stir things up)

Just my 2 cents... I hope other post their starting fish.

IJO

I also started with Damsels but they love to chase each other around.  If I had to start over from the beginning as a beginner, I would go with Hermits, turbos, lawnmover belnnie, and a couple clowns.  Then I would add later some soft corals (mushrooms etc).  As you upgrade your system ie: lighting etc, (and you will), then your options are limitless.  Good Luck. ;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I'm a big Wrasse fan. They always seem to get along. Some of the fairy wrasses are just stunning although tough to find. Wrasses hunt the small "bugs" , worms and starfish in you tank but only during daylight.
      You kind of have to look at the fish's activity level. Marine Bettas are beautifull fish but you won't see them too often as they choose to hide a lot. I have a Neon Dottyback who is totally troublesome but he grows on you and keeps the activity level up in the community. Tangs and angels are nice but you normally can only keep one of each.
    True Perc

I have a pair of ocellaris clown fish and a hippo tang. The hippo tang will form a school with the clown fish, swimming with them all the time. The clown fish don't drive it away.

Don't have an anemone to host the clown fish yet. Got the pair at about the same size, and one has grown much larger than the other now. She is probably the female.

I would avoid getting the damsels as they get too aggressive. They are constantly fighting and chasing each others. If you ever need to take them out, be prepared to tear down your whole tank and remove all the rock work.  >
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Thx for all the info guys.

Now it's up to me to decide which combo works best for me. Cuase as you all know, I can only have one combination, and to start over might be a little pain in the butt.

thx again
    Have you hugged your fish today?

ijo

Your right about the damsels fighting and chasing each other.  I find they stir things up but don't hurt any of the other fish.  The most I've seen is they wiggle their tales in whatever is in their territory.  As for moving them out of that tank.  I'm going to give a fish trap a try(I'll post pictures tonight)

IJO

I started with a 3 stripe damsel, still have it and he behaves himself, 2 fire clowns, 1 chromis and a yellow tang.  The tang and the damsel are the most interesting to watch. The chromis usually swims in open, while the fire clowns mostly hide. Mabe if i had an anemone, i'd see them more? Out of them all i'd trade the fire clowns. I'd like to get a swissguard. All are reef safe.

Does anyone know reef safe fish which like to swim in and out of the rock formations? My best was a purple tang, but had to get rid of him, too aggressive.  

The Swiss Guard is a very good choice for a reef tank. You have to be sure no nasty fish are present to harass it as they are peacefull fish who like to hang in the rocks. They are expensive at the $100 level. There is supposed to be a closely related basslet called the Candy Bass that is reputed to be one of the most spectacular fish available. I've never seen one.
     There are plexiglass traps where you control the door with a fishing line. You leave it in the tank for a couple of days and don't feed. On about the third day when you bait the trap you can remove almost any fish from a reef tank.
    True Perc

The Copper Banded Butterfly loves to swim around in your rock formations. They are picky eaters and wil eat all your fan worms. They eat aptasia anenomes which is one of their claims to fame. They are not aggresive fish. Hope this helps.
    True Perc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast