Another fish stocking Q

I'm setting up a 15G tank (no skimmer :-)) for my son. We've got some good cured LR from a tank which was being closed down. The aquascaping is looking good, with lots of nice caves and tunnels. The rock came with some inhabitants (feather dusters and green polyps). We are not planning for a lot of corals, certainly nothing fancy like SPS.

So, to the fish. In addition to the possibility of clowns, we're looking for ideas to fit a small tank and which would take advantage of the rock structure. Not to hide in, but to swim around and though. I'm interested in suggestions for small fish which would do this. No tangs :-)

Thanks.
    Nick

Well, on a 15 gal tank, you should have only about 3 inches of fish. "This article explains why - http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/stockguide.shtml
    You could push that limit a little bit but without a skimmer, I wouldn't by much. Most clowns grow to 2 to 5+ inches long (as I remember). If you don't get clowns, many of the gobies swim in and out of the rocks. Some of the wrasses stay small and are very colourful. In both cases, you should check the species you are looking at for recommended minimum tank size. Here is a site I often use for this type of info http://www.peteducation.com/category...ls=16&cat=1867 Any of the clowns that I checked should have at least a 30 gallon tank.

What do you plan on using for filtration, if anything, other than your LR?

Vickie

WE were going to stick with LR and water changes for now. We might ad a HOB filter in the future. There are quite a few examples of 15G tanks with 2 ocellaris clowns. That's one option. I'm just looking for some alternate ideas. Royal Gramma is one. Gobies too but there is no top on the tank so we don't want jumpers.
    Nick

If you get a fish that is a jumper, just cut a piece of egg crate (called light defuser (sp?) at Home Depot) to fit the top. I use wire cutters to cut this stuff.

It allows the light and air in but prevents the fish from jumping out. I have my 90 covered with 4 pieces (that way I can take part out for feeding, etc and the remainder stays covered. My yellow neon goby is a jumper!

I have a skunk basslet that is bright and very active around the rocks. It grows to about 4 inches but I'm not sure on territory/swimming requirements - it might need more than a 15 gallon. If your interested look it up on Peteducation.com.

Vickie

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to look up 'skunk basslet' on your reference page (thanks for the pointer BTW), but nothing came up. Does it have another name?

I've heard about the egg crate and have a sheet of it in my basement which I could use. Trouble is, I don't really like the look of it on a tank.
    Nick

Sorry, I should have checked for you. Here is the page http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1765 I ran a search for basslets and checked the minimum tank for each - at least a 30 gallon. I'm sorry, I guess basslets are not a good choice.

They recommend a 30 gallon tank for your ocellaris clowns as well. I searched for other small fish - all say 30 gallons or larger. As you have found out, some people are successful in keeping a fish in a smaller than recommended tank. IMO the reason that 30 gallon seems to be the minimum recommended size is because of the difficulty in keeping the water parameters stable in a smaller size as well as the lower level of oxygen in the water.

I know what you mean by how the egg crate looks. My tank is set at eye level and the egg crate fits in the plastic trim so you can't see it unless you look over the top.

Vickie

THanks again. I was asking you to run the check for me -. Just wondered if there was some other name for the fish. The link in your message actually goes to a Diadem Pseudochromis, not a basselet.

I've seen the same thing about the 30G minimuim. The Liveaquaria and Marine Depot sites differ on many of these with MD opting for smaller limits. Joyce Wilkerson's book talks about having the smaller cliowns in smaller tanks (10-30G size).
    Nick

Sorry Nick, I should have made it clearer. Skunk basslet is the common name for the diadem pseeudochromis. Your question made me curious which is why I did a quick check.

A lot of the recommendations depend upon where you check. I usually use the stocking guide (my original post) unless a fish is known was a swimmer or known to be territorial, in which case I then go by PetEducation (PetEducation is run by vets so they should have some knowledge on the requirements). PetEducation is not always right (but then who is always right about anything). It is a judgement call as to who to believe.

Vickie

Thanks. The PetEducation descriptions look identical to the ones I find at Liveaquaria ( a commerical site). Hmm.
    Nick