Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much would you pay for a 250

My father has a 5+ year old 250 gallon gold fish tank with stand that he wants to sell. The stand is slightly cracked because it wasn't prefectly leveled.

He wants me to make him an offer.

Anyone ever bought a used 200-300 gallon tank? What did you or would you pay?

Greg

ATC
    most used gear goes for about 1/2 retail. you should make sure that he's never used copper in it if you plan to go marine. Copper gets absorbed into silicone and then leaches back into the tank.
    Aven

I'll have to confirm, but I'm pretty sure a copper based med. was used in the tank to heal a sick fish.

Is there anyway to get that copper 100% out of the tank? (ie. bleech bath?)

ATC
    you could try testing the water with a good quality copper test kit to see if any copper is leaching. I know Mom rules had a tank that she could not keep inverts in because copper had been used in it at one time.

You might be ok if you only have noncopper sensitive fish but like most people with a 250-gal, you will probably want to go reef at some point.
    Aven

Nick

Aven, its going to be my long term reef project. So I'll do as you say and test the tank water before I take it.

Nick, those links aren't working.

If the possibility of copper leaching out of the old silicone I would re & re the silicone that is inside the tank. Clean up those areas REAL good with a razor blade and re-silicone it. It's a bit of elbow work but silicone is pretty cheap.
    Rob

Sorry, they worked over on RC but my cut and paste did't bring the enture URL. Dumb :-(((

Here we go again:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=149531

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=210657
    Nick

Thanks Nick.

I called my Pop, he said that he never used any medication or copper of any kind in the tank. I'll test the tank anyways, but I don't think I'll have any copper problems.

Although I now have a new issue. Its actually the glass thats cracked and not the stand. From what I remember now, it was cracked on the front pane at the very bottom. The crack was actual silicon'd. My pop has the tank full right now. So it isn't leaking. But I'm a bit worried that 6-8 bags of sand and 300lbs of rock that is gonna be too much for tank and the crack is going to get bigger.

I he wants $785 and 33 cents for everything. ;p Can someone loan me the 33 cents. Joking aside, it seems like a very good deal and worth the risk.

Any thoughts?

craked tank

DONT TOUCH IT.even if its siliconed the crack can travel with the slightest wrong pressure and its gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast