Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Protien Skimmer flow

Hi all,

just wondering what the flow of water through my Protien Skimmer should be? I got a powerhead but was wondering if I should get a stand alone pump...

for a 50 gal tank

Tic
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

It depends upon the protien skimmer. Can you give us a model or brand?

Vickie

nope no model or brand....lets see if I can get a pic up of the sucker...it's 16" in the airstone chamber...24" overall..and about 4 " wide... I'm hoping to run it standalone as I have no sump.
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

I'm sorry that I can't help. I'm not familiar with most skimmers. Maybe someone else with more experience can help.

Looking at the size of it, I would almost say that you should be using a pump not a power head but what size of pump. That I don't know.

Good luck

Vickie

I have no idea what kind of skimmer that is, it looks like it will work fine- but I assume that you realise that it will have to be above your tank to work if you don't have a sump. If it is below the water line it will act as a siphon once 3water is pumped into it. The flow rate will be somewhat determined by how well it will drain and the amount of air pumped into it. Can you post more pics from different angles- I can't figure out where the water drains from or where it is pumped in or what those two nozzle thingies on each side of the reaction chamber are........need more info!!...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

ok i'll post a few more...those two nozzles are water in/out
    and yes, it will be above the tank =)

thanks
    Tic..pics in a little bit...(with better light)

hopw these are a little better

and again

one last one
    the intake valve is 1/2 " and the out flow valve is 3/4..I might rework these to come off on a 90 so they are horizontal rather than vertical as they are now, mainly due to the fact that it will be above water level
    <btw, I made that deacon's bench it's sitting on> hehe

That's a bit of an odd design, it would make more sense if it were around 5 years old or so. Anyway, you might get somewhere around 400 gph, but you'll have to play with it. It will depend on how much air is being pumped into it as that will change the volume inside the skimmer. Get a decent air pump so that you know you have a good amount of bubbles. The air column should be thick and you shouldn't be able to really see inside the chamber.
    An 802 hagen powerhead or a mag 5 might do the trick for water. Then you'll have to play with the input and output valves to get a good level. I'd start with the input valve open fully and just close the output valve to control water height. If you find that you are closing the output valve a lot, maybe a bigger pump will be reguired.
    Controlling the height is a little tricky with an air driven skimmer like this because you have three variables to play with- in, out, and air volume. It just takes time to get maximum gunk production (and that's a technical term! )
    Just remember that it is the amount of contact time between air bubble and water that produces foam- not necessarily maximum flow. There is a trade off between flow through the skimmer and dwell time in the skimmer to achieve maximum results.........have fun!
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast