Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does it cosrts to start up?

Hey I am planning on starting up a marine tank soon. I will be converting my 33 gallon fresh water into a marine system...

I already have

the tank (33gallon)
    1 302 AC powerhead
    heaters
    1 300 HOB AC filter and also a mini filter

I was wondering how much things like a refractometer and things like that cost and basically what I need to start off.. I am planning on making my own live rock so I would only be getting like a couple pounds of live rock to seed my home made live rock.

I know I have put up posts like this before but I am really wanbting to know what to get and about how much it will cost me... I think I know everything I need but it doesn;t seem like enough.... seems like I am missing something... anyway please help!

thnx all!!!

liv
    your going to need lighting.. usually a min of 3w per gallon.
    your gong to need more circulation in tank .. possibly another powerhead. a protein skimmer. either hangon or other.
    salt use instant ocean.
    live rock.. its a great option. i am doing the same.. we dont all have a few hundred $ to spend on LR.

patience !.. get boxes of that stuff.. cauz its slow.. and dont go crazy adding stuff in.. everytime you add a fish.. you should wait a good month or two before adding anything el;se.

reflectometer.. they will have some for sale in the next week or so.. PM Ijo for pricing.. i think its going to be somewhere ~85$ . you will also need others tests like ph, calc, nitrate, phospate, amonia etc.

just about everything you need is for sale on this site.. if its not listed.. bug Ijo about it

Oh, and before adding chemicals in the tank.. check to see if a natural option can be used.

if you are converting your tank, it was probebly freshwater.
    make sure you did not use any chemicals like medication in that tank.. like copper. if you did.. then check out the other posts on this group about it.. but it usually requires you to remove all silicone and replace for new stuff. in your case.. a 33g is faily inexpensive to replace the whole thing.

enjoy!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Talk to Steve in Halifax, get him to deliver the NSW. Beats the mixes!

cool thnx man! so what I need is a protein skimmer... test kits... and a reflectometer?.... I mean I know I need light but not until I get corals.... live rock and sand.... what kind of substrate tho?... I have playsand that I use in my freshwater tank... could I use something similar to that?....

Yeah I knew steve delivers the FSW, I don;t think I have enough money for that but I guess the salt mix would be the same or more money so...

liv
    well.. you got a major advantage in taking real ocean water..
    I would If I could!... check out the prices before taking the instant ocean.

You can use playsand. It is probably silica though. But that won't hurt anything- especially if you top it with an inch of aragonite sand. Just make sure it is nice and white - it will look better and reflect the light.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Hey Gail! is anyone ordering anything anytime soon?... I would like to order a bag or 2 of aragonite mix... steve said that you can get it cheaper online.... so if you know if anyone is making a dry goods order anytime soon I would love to get a bag or 2 of aragonite mix! other then playsand do you know of any other good white sand?... I know mavilette beach and white point both have white sand... would you recomend using something like that?

liv
    you could use beach sand.. but it has to be a beach that is not used by humans.. as it will be filled with sun tanning lotion and other chemicals. There are also laws against taking beach sand.

If you are trying to save up-front money, you don't need a refractometer right now. They are more accurate (as long as you subtract 0.001 to adjust for the calibration standard/scale used) but a $12 plastic sg device would do.

Also, there is a vigourous debate about skimmers goung on elsewhere. Many people running 33G or smaller tanks make do with water changes ana LR/LS. Opinions on this will vary :-)

Go slow. Until you get corals, a normal room flourescent light would do. You don't really need the expense of metal halide unless you want to keep sps or clams. Many people suiggest 'biting the buillet' now and getting MH lighting to save paying twice for lighting. But, there are many very interesting things you can do with cheaper lighting. And then move on in the future when the other expenses have been paid for.
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast