Thread: New Tank Setup

Question New Tank Setup

I have just started into the world of salt water.

I currently have a 77 gallon DAS tank setup. I just started on Friday. Added water, salt and power heads on Saturday and added crushed coral on Saturday night.

Is it normal to see all the litle bubbles in a new tank setup? When looking at local stores I never noticed that much water activity

I currently have the protien skimmer and pump running as well as 2 * 802 powerhead/filters.

I am over circuralating the water? The 802's are doing 400gal/hr * 2 and the protien skimmer/pump combo I not sure what is doing per hour.

Thanks,

cman

actually, the bubbles are quite normal. They go away after a while. IMO, it would be best not to activate the skimmer just yet, so you have more nutrients to cycle the tank.
    I don't beleive you are overcirculating the tank.
    You seem to be on the right track so far
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

cman, are the little bubbles coming from the skimmer or were they there from the time you mixed the salt and water? When I first started my tank, I added water and salt and it looked cloudy / white haze for a couple days and then cleared right up. It is good to have a lot of water flow and with the two powerheads and the skimmer you don't have too much flow.

Thanks for the response. The bubbles were there from the start right after I added the salt miture. The power heads were already running. I alos noticed if you turn down the follow on the protien skimmer the bubbles seem to decrease ( in the tank). I think I let it sit for a couple more days and see if they continue to disolve.

Thanks again

Cman

Hi there. I have been having the same bubble problem. Have your bubbles cleared up? I've been running my skimmer for 6 days now, and still the bubbles persist. I called the store and they told me to keep running the skimmer. I just want the bubbles to stop.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Need to turn the flow adjustment down. Could also place a small foam sponge on the water outlet.... On a new set up the skimmer has very little to skim.

Hi Sara,

I turned my skimmer off based on what conan had said and the bubbles cleared up in less than a day.

I will probally wait until I purchase some live Rock before I turn it back on.

Thanks,

Cman