Question Looking to purchase live Rock for new setup

I am setting up a reef tank and was wondering where can you can to get the best quality live Rock for a great price. I was hoping to fine it already cured. I not use to the curing process nore do I have the extra tanks to do it right.

Thanks

Cman

Does anyone have any experience using base rock that was not considered LR when it was purchased? There has been a couple of post where members discuss using base rock and letting it seed from a few good pieces of Live Rock.

Iím wondering the pros and cons. How does it look? Any input would be appreciated

Well, I have both LR and just Bleached coral rock as base rock. The way it works is that under good conditions, the bugs on the LR will multiply. They will end up on your base rock and you'll have all LR by the time the process is over.
    Usually, one uses base rock on the bottom of the tank and add LR on top of it. (that's what I did.) I have 15 lbs LR and 10 lbs of bare rock
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Cool, I had just purchased my first piece of live rock already cure today from a local pet store for $15/pound

What type of bare rock are you using?

Is there a safe ratio or it just a time dependent thing?

Will it look as good as the live rock when it is completed.

what makes it "look" good is the amount of Corralinne algae on the rock, witch is not related to the living organisms on it. If your new LR has corralinne, then you'll have some growing everywhere, wich is a good thing...
    To have it become LR, yes it is a time dependent thing. But the more LR you have, obviously, the faster you will spread the wealth!!!
    By the way, 15$/pound is way, way to much.... and if you spend so much on it, you wanna make shure that it's really good!! Also, I would think that AC has better prices aswell, and at least you know you get quality.
    It's just that I've been in some LFS and saw some "Live Rock" and you could totally see the rock was bare white!!!
    I dunno... just be cautious.
    I'm using bleached coral rock... it's been in there a while and I can't remember the exact name of it, but it's dead coral that's been bleached and is know a rock. (skeleton of sps')
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda