Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Centre Brace

Centre Brace

I am currently setting up a 65 gal reef tank and will be using a 250 Watt metal halide for light. The light will be positioned directly above a plastic centre brace and I'm worried that the heat may make the brace fail. The brace will also create a shadow across the centre of the tank. Anybody had this problem or have any suggestions ?

Yup..

i had this issue.. and ended up taking my tank to NAFB, Here in toronto and had the Plastic bracing removed and Glass Eurobracing installed..

Now i don't have that tank anymore.. BUt i would do it again in a heart beat!!

I've read of some people replacing the plastic brace for glass. They silicone the glass in place and then cut the plastic out leaving about one inch on each end siliconed to the glass. I'm not sure that I would do that. If not done properly, and the silicone lets go, you could have a cracked tank.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Vickie

Just a FYI..

Silicone is really not very good for sticking to acrylic. i have seen my acrylic baffels let go in my sump.. but when replaced with glass.. worked fine..

If you are going to run the glass then just drain the tank and remove the plastic trim and euro brace it.. Simple and easy.. becouse remember even glass will deflect some light so you might still get some Shaded areas with a glass brace.. Not to mention you would be cleaning it every day to get the salt Creep off or eles you will for sure have some shady issues.

DON"T USE PLXI for this job!!!!
    Toooloud has the best fix for your issue. I once euro braced a 125 that had a really big bow in it. I used my wood working clamps to bring the tank back to square and siliconed the eurostyle braces into place. I used plxi glass the first time and it seemed OK ... but about a week later it let go all at once and I near had a heart attack. Both front and back panes bounced back and forth a few times and the water was moving pretty good. I WAS LUCKY. The second go at it I used glass and all was OK.
    Rob

I've read a lot about EUrobracing but I'm not sure exactly what it is and how you would retro-fit it to a tank. Can anyone explain? Thanks
    Nick

well .. .It's like a picture frame around the top of your tank about 1 and 1/2 inches wide. A lot of plxi-glass tanks come with this RIM around the top for strength.
    Go here 3rd post down

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Ya...num=1073230709

Rob

And with a tank that small..

All you would need to do is brace the front and the back glass.. All the bracing does it prevents the tank from "Bowing" alot of people think the braces are there to hold the tank together when that is not the case at all.. They use the plastic trim to keep it Square while it dries.. after that it has nothing to do with the structure.. expect to keep the front from bowing out..

Run 1/2 inch 2 inche wide glass stripes down the front and back of tank and you will be good to go.. Cost you around $60 for unpolished glass strips.. if that.

The only other thing is somthing like this, Not as clean looking is to cut the old.. and Screw in the new.. Just dill out the holes and use Nylon Nut and bolts.. Like i said not as clean looking.. and not as strong as eurobracing but works too.

Thanks
    Michael

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry.

Tooloud what is the black tube looking thing in the first pic?
    Bottom left.
    stephen
    Stephen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast