Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

taking live rock across border?

Does anyone know what he regulations are about taking lr from Canada into the US. Moving there in a few weeks; fortunately, my tank wasn't ready to stock before my husband got this job offer. My lr is perfectly cured and has at least three feather duster on it (they came with the rock). I don't want to have to leave it behind. Does anyone know what the rules are?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It won't be easy. Pratically impossible.
    Liverock needs a CITES permit in order to be imported/exported from Canada.

Check out www.cites.org.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Or you can always just put it with the rest of your posessions and not mention it.Chances are they won't search you as long as your paperwork is in order.It is not ike you will be standing out.You have every right to be there.I have never been search or harrased at the border and that includes moving fromEdmonton to Virginia Beach and back 4 years later.
    I have brought fish back and forth several times.If by some chance you get caught you can play stupid."It is just rocks"
    Better yet just claim them as" aquarium rocks" and leave it at that.

If you decide to take the chance - here is a thread that lists the possible consequences - http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/sh...ighlight=cites

Playing stupid doesn't do much for many customs agents. Most of the agents at the major crossings have been through training to recognize items on the CITES list as well as most endangered species lists.

Like everything else - weigh the risks and decide if it is worth it.

Vickie

What if you call it BASE rock. Would they even know the difference? Can you take base rock over the border?
    Rob

Unless you have documentation that the custom agent you are dealling with accepts, their word is the law. Eventually, if you can prove to their satisfaction that it is NOT covered by the CITES treaty, you will get your rock back but expect to pay storage charges, etc. and it probably would be base rock at that time.

Since I have family in the US, I cross on a regular basis. Usually there is no problems - just a few questions and a quick check of the passport and away we go. BUT there have been times when we have been pulled over and searched. What was the difference? I really don't know.

One time we knew we would be bringing a lot of stuff across so we stopped at the crossing we would be using and asked them about paperwork, etc. A very nice gentleman answered all our questions. The day we actually did cross with the items, that gentleman was off and we had to deal with another agent who understood the law a differently. Needless to say, we didn't have the correct paperwork and it took a while to sort everything out. The fact that we had the gentleman's name didn't mean anything.

Another time, I was driving my mother's car from NY to Ontario. The car had NY licence plates and my mother was sitting in the car. At the border I was informed that I could NOT cross into Canada while driving that car because it was illegal to drive a car licensed in the US with a Canadian driver's license. When we finally got home, I called the OPP. They had never heard of such a law.

I could go on. In my opinion, it all depends upon the agent you get that day.

Vickie

I live 5 min from the Windsor/Detroit border so I get to go over to the states fairly often.

In my opinion, it all depends upon the agent you get that day.
    Vickie could not have made a truer statement! One day it seems like they don't care what you have...get someone different the next day at they treat you like you're on the 10 most wanted list!:guns:
    Brining things back to Canada is much smoother...I buy fw fish in the states and don't have much trouble bringing them back...trying to take a fish into the US is another story! The last time I tried it was Discus...they seem to think that if a Discus gets loose it will decimate the natural population of fish....yeaaaaaah sure. Lots of 86 degree lakes in the US apparently!
    As far as bringing your LR over to the US...not gonna happen! Sell it and buy some more when you are settled in. Just my opinion from my experience.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Why does it need a CITES permit. Is liverock endangered? I couldn't find anything on the website to help me. How do I apply for a permit?

Sara, from the link I listed above - "I did a little more research.
    Cites is now calling all live rock scleractinia which is categorized under Cites Appendix II.

Just for everyone's knowledge.
    Appendix I includes species threatened with extinction. Trade in specimens of these species is permitted only in exceptional circumstances.

Appendix II includes species not necessarily threatened with extinction, but in which trade must be controlled in order to avoid utilization incompatible with their survival.

Appendix III contains species that are protected in at least one country, which has asked other CITES Parties for assistance in controlling the trade."
    "You have to apply to get a CITES permit...and this costs $200 USD per permit - plus the order cost + the shipping + taxes/duties/brokerage/etc.

The permits have to be filled-out by the exporter...and must be 100% complete & correct (as CITES permits are needed for the EXPORT of protected species - NOT their IMPORT). So...you have to worry about US Customs/Wildlife inspecting the shipment as well as Canada Customs too..." The dollar amounts apply from the US to Canada. You would have to contact the Canadian site to import to the US. AJ, the person who posted this is a on-line marine store owner.

Since you want to ship from Canada to the US, I would suggest starting with this site - http://www.cites.ec.gc.ca/eng/sct3/index_e.cfm

Good luck

Vickie

your live rock over the border

sell them rocks and buy new ones over the usa less headaches.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast