Thread: Snails

Snails

Hey guys,
    I just bought some turbo snails, put them in my trank and have noticed that they have not moved in the last 15 hours. Is this normal. I find that snails never do well in my tank. My temp and Ph are fine, I acclimate them properly, my hydrometer gives me a reading of 1.020.....
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

is you Alkalinity ok? i noticed my was low 6.9 dkh.. and as i raised it my snails got more active.. hope that helps..

ATC
    1.020 is sort of low, 1.024 to 1.026 is the usual range. snails and such have to be aclimated very slowly (i.e. preferably drip) as they are very sensitive to salinity changes. so when acclimating keep checking the bag salinity against tank salinity until they're the same.

I've had a couple of DOAs from newly arrived stock from lfs that were acclimated too quickly before I got them.
    Aven

how do we raise the alkalnity.
    Thanks

i use kent Alk buffer.. its ph formulated to 8.2.. so you will not overdose the ph while raising the alk.. you add it to your tank with the evaporation refill water.. mix in fresh water then pour into tank.. 1 do it every 2 day for 2 weeks.. if needed.. i went from 6.5DKH to 8.5DKH in 2 weeks.. my corals are opening.. and my red slime algae is dying..

Snails are one of the most sensitive creatures in our tanks believe it or not!! Alk is very important for them> I personally even use my snails as indicators of good water quality. When I see them less active or having trouble hanging on, I know it's time to do some testing.