Candy Cane Coral

Hello,
    I Purchsed some candy cane coral about two months ago and have noticed that they are not growing... they have gone from 3 to four heads but the size has not increased. they are placed at the top of my live rock near the light source.
    Thanks
    Kalpesh

Cool boss

are you feeding them? they will only get so big and just keep splitting. Takes time.

no. I have never fed them anything. I thought they will take bits and pieces of the food I give my clown and damsels. Ie: mysis shrimp,brine shrimp, flakes.

Cool

nope, you have to feed them when its dark. Normally they have there tentacles after a few hours of darkness. You can squirt mysis shrimp or anything like that as long as its small. They will eat like pigs.

Thanks......

Bill,
    You don't have to feed them at all. All LPS will get enough from the water column when you feed your fish.
    Are you running MH bulbs? If so, lower them down somewhat. They don't like too intense light and actually grow faster in a moderate light. I had to lower all my LPS's to practically the bottom of my tank when I upgraded from 250w to 400watters and my tank is 30" deep!!!

Cool

while I agree with greg that you don't'' have'' to feed them I found that they split and grew faster if you did in fact target feed them. I also found that this could be only done during the dark period of your tanks schedule as thats when they have there feeders out.This brings me to the point that when you feed your tank during the day I find that there not open to food. But on the flip side, I never fed my hammer,torch but the bubbles and brains need to be fed! that is a must to keep them happy IMO.

I agree with Johnny on this one. I don't keep a caulastrea anymore but I did raise one from a small 3 coalite "frag" to a large bloated sphere by target feeding. They can be trained to extend their feeding tentacles during the day though. If you can feed them at exactly the same time every day they will learn when feeding time is. I did this by soaking krill pellets in selco and dropping several on each coralite (large polyp). The coral would eventually extend the tentacles and eat. The pellets worked well because they don't blow away too easily. After a while it knew when feeding time was and would open feeding tentacles at that time each day so that I could feed it frozen food.
    Susan

I mentioned that you don't "HAVE" to feed them. If you want to push them to grow fast, then feeding always helps. I said this because it is not necessary and they WILL feed from the water column whenever they want or when you feed the tank too. If your tank is mature and has lots of various foodstuffs in the water column, there is no need to feed at all, even to get them growing fast. I have never fed ANY of mine and they are always splitting and forcing me to frag them because of their size.