Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just want to get an opinion on some stuff

Hi all, I have a 55g marine tank set up for about 7 months now and am finally starting to add some corals. I am running two 24'' 65w 50/50 PC hoods, 2 powerheads( cant remeber GPH ), a skilter 250 skimmer and a regent 60 gallon filter. I have about 20 - 25 pounds of Live rock in the tank now and about 4'' of carib sea substrate. The inhabitants so far are 2 firefish, a scooter blenny, 10 various hermits, 10 various snails, a clarki clown, a perc clown, and a greeen chromis and a yellow chromis. I have been adding seachem reef plus and reef completesince about six to 8 weeks iunto the set up. So far all is well. Today I added a fairly large mushroom leather coral ( huge stalk and capped with a 5 point star). I was planning on adding some polyps and mushrooms and an long tentecal anenome ( not all at once) abd I was wondering if my setup will suffice. (wondering about the lighting in particular). Your opinions on the matter are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

liv
    Hi, welcome to the board.
    anemonies usually require lots of light..usually 3 to 4 times the wattage per G.. so in your case min. of 220w. seems like your setup is ok.. dont add everything at once.. wait a good month between stuff. also, are you monitoring your water ? alk,calc, ph, salinity ? .. mushrooms and snails will react real fast when something is wrong.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

thanks for the info. Yes I am monitoring my water canditions (College Chemistry finally seems usefull) and so far after the inital spike in the early stages evrything seems normal. I usually wait atleast a month between adding anything. Gives the pocket book time to recover, and also time to enjoy and/or correct anything with my new purchase. With my present lighting setup is there any type of anemone that host clown fish that I could have, or is a lighting upgrade a must. I was planning on upgrading next year or if the right deal came along, whenever.

Get the advice coming!

The clarki and perc don't fight? If you're not having problems yet expect it. Keeping 2 different clowns is not advised and as they grow you'll see stress starting (if not already) if you add a host you'll definitely have much more stress/fighting.

actually so far all is good, the perc follows the clarki where ever s/he goes. Guess I could be in for trouble. I think I will have to get clear of one if I want to add an anemone. The worst is now I'm attached to both. any suggestions. Eventually would like to establish a breeding pair. Any clown better than the other for this ( besides buying an established pair already).

thanks agin for the advice. Keep it coming

Be careful adding products to your tank. You don't have a large population of corals yet, so I would keep the additives to a mininum for now until you start getting into hard corals, and more reef. Regular water changes will supply all the nutrient for what you want to keep right now. It will also save you money and hard ache because of possible algae outbreaks.

Thanks for the info. Man after reading all this I must look like a moron. some bad local advice I guess. I was told to add the supplements to add to the coral line for the liverock and to get the water ready to add corals to.

Originally posted by johnmorris
    Thanks for the info. Man after reading all this I must look like a moron. some bad local advice I guess. I was told to add the supplements to add to the coral line for the liverock and to get the water ready to add corals to.
    Johnmorris ...
    The day that you are seen as being a "moron" for asking for advise at this site will be the day HELL freezes over. One of the most interesting aspects of the marine hobby is that for even the most experienced hobbyist there is always something new to be learned. Ether by first hand experience, new contacts or new research it just never ends. I would strongly encourage you to ask away. There are many VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE people here with god knows how many years of combined experience in the hobby.
    Rob

Thanks for the reassurance salty dog. Reefing Is a relatively new hobby here in Newfoundland. Mixed local advice seems to be the norm.

OSD is right. If you're attached to both and they get along that's fine for now, hell who knows maybe they'll ended up being mated weirder things have happened BUT I'd keep an eye on them and signs of aggression.

Everyone makes mistakes but the way to make less is to get many opinions and research.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast