buffer RO water before salt?

Hi,

Does anyone bring PH and alk up BEFORE mixing in the salt?

Or is it better to mix the salt, check PH and alk and bring up if necessary.

Any advantage to doing it one way or the other?
    thanks.
    thien

I don't understand. Are you saying that you allow your pH and alk to drop in your tank before you do a partial water change? How much do they drop?

I adjust Ca and alk everytime I test (usually every 1 to 2 weeks), if required. Since I drip kalk to replace evaporated water, there usually isn't any need to adjust.

When I do a partial water change, I mix up the water to the correct salinity, get the temp close (3 or 4 degrees lower doesn't make a big difference when you are change 15 gallons out of over 100 gallons. In fact, sometimes the heaters don't even come on after a water change.) and then add the water to the sump. By the time it has mixed into the sump water and then been pumped into the display tank, the digital thermometer may show a drop of 1 degree. In the next few days, I usually do the water tests and adjust as required. Usually there isn't any need to adjust, like I stated above.

Vickie

what I meant was does anyone buffer RO prior to mixing in the salt or is that unnecessary? This is to make new water for WC and not for top off
    thanks.
    thien

It shouldn't be necessary if you are using a good brand of salt. The salt should have everything that you need and should come out close to what most people keep their tanks at. That said, Instant Ocean had a bad shipment last year and the alk was too high. Since I don't test before doing a water change, I would have run into problems. It is a chance I take.

If you want the added assurance that the WC calcium and alk levels are correct before adding to your tank, by all means, test. Remember the rule is to test before adding anything to ensure that what you want to add is needed. Some trace elements can become toxic if you put too much of them in.

Top off water should be straight RO or RO/DI water. Many people use a kalk drip (like I do) to replace the evaporated water. This helps to maintain the correct levels of calcium and alk that the corals and other animals (like snails and crabs) use up.

I hope this helps

Vickie

Don't buffer I've heard of people doing that but never have

IS RO water absolutely required, or can you get away with chemically treated tap water?

My tank has been up for about 3 months and until today I have always filled with tap water.

Given I've started to stock anenomes I thought I'd try RO water from my LFS to see if I can improve the overall health of the tank.

I'm living in a new condo so the pipes are new..Input?
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

It's not so much the quality of your pipes, granted old copper piping probably isn't good for your tank, but more to do with what the city puts in the water to deem it suitable for human consumption. I think most people are concern with the levels of phosphate, nitrate and others that might not be taken out when you use a water conditioner.... = lots of algae
    thanks.
    thien

I wouldn't buffer the RO water before adding salt. The salt already contains the buffer and other elements you need. By adding buffer, you risk changing the chemical composition of your change water and that can't be good. Too high an alk will precipitate calcium, it will cause your water to look like milk at best, or it will be dangerous to add to your tank at worst.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.