silly question - what's a refugium?

I've heard the word bandied about, but I don't really know what it is. I've got a 25gallon now, and will be moving up to at least a 72 in the near future... I have a canister filter, protein skimmer, maxijet for water movement; is this enough?

I would remove all the media from the Canister.. and run just carbon in it, and stock the tank with 80 pounds of live rock.. that should be good.. best to use Natural filtration..

As for the Refug..

Its a Safe haven for critters to grow.. usually at least to me is light 24/7 and you grow Calupra or other macro alages in it.. which will feed of the nutrients in the water.. Starving out the Bad alages in the main tank.

So, what critters live in the refugium? Are they the same ones I want to get for my FOWLR tank? Does it get placed above or below the tank? Sorry for the grilling...I'm new to this, and as I was setting one tank up, I got news that I may have to take it down because I'm moving. The advantage is that I get to go with a bigger tank!! I want to make sure that I set everything up right, I don't want to lose anything(one).

That 25 gallon tank you have will perhaps .. if the right dimensions ... make a good refuge for your 72 gallon tank. Think of the refuge as a sanitary for the critters that you want in your system, that your fish would make fast food of if they were in your tank. it is a smaller tank that is usually under your display tank but can also be over it when set up for that layout. The water, or part of it anyway, from your display tank will flow through this smaller tank at the rate your decide is best depending on what you want your refuge to do for you. It will usually have a sand bed and some live rock in it along with the critters that are safe from becoming fish food. I myself do not know all the ins and outs of the refuge idea so I will let those with first hand experience take it from here.
    Rob

So, is this why some tanks are drilled?

YES but Not for the refuge alone. That water supply services the SUMP system as well. the SUMP / REFUGE is usually a combination unit. In the SUMP you will have equipment that you do not want cluttering up your display tank. Things like heaters, skimmers, reactors and probes.
    Rob

Drilling the tank is a better and more reliable way of supplying the SUMP / REFUGE with water. The hole in the tank is usually in the bottom of a back corner of the display tank. This hole is housed in a gated off area of the display tank and the height of the gate controls the depth of the water in your display tank. That's why it is ofter referred to as an overflow or overflow box. The top of the gate or box is usually toothed so small fish and inverts don't go over the top edge. As water is returned to the display tank from the SUMP / REFUGE the depth of the display tank increases until that extra water flows over the gate, down through the hole and back into the SUMP / REFUGE.
    Rob

Can you use a HOT filter such as the Aquaclear as a mini- refugium?
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

you also want a slower current in your fuge than in your sump. that's why you split the incoming water with a valve to allow more water in the sump (faster current) that in the fuge. Alot of plumbing, let me tel ya!
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda