Thread: Pencil Urchin

Pencil Urchin

Anyone have a Pencil Urchin?

I've had one for awhile now and like it with the exception that it likes to eat corraline,which is making me think I might return it to the store.

Except for the cool shape I can really see any need to keep it around. My snails and hermit crabs do a decent job of keeping the tank clean

They are carnivorous and will eat a nice tasty...starfish if they have a chance, that's what happened to me.

That damn urchin would follow the starfish around and one day he caught him and pinned him in the rocks. I couldn't do anything because moving the rocks would make things worse. After several hours the starfish came out missing one leg to the stomach, 1/2 of another one and tips of another.

I took the urchin back to the store before the rage I was feeling made me pull out all his quills with plyers. The starfish hung in for a couple of days then died.

They are devils!!!!!!!:gun3:

ps oh yeah he'd knock stuff over all the time......grrrrr

OMG - I'm glad I read this. I didn't know pencil urchins were carnivorous. Poor starfish. That must have been horrible!
    Susan

damn..I know have a starfish. More concerned with the corraline.

I might be taking my lionfish back to the LFS. Perhaps I'll throw in an urchin.
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

It was a horrible thing to watch, I called my husband almost crying cause I could see the starfish trying to escape but he just couldn't. Considering both are so slow it was a like watching a slow train wreck you couldn't stop.

We purchased the red linkia whom my girls name "Patrick" (very original I know) and a while later we saw purple sea urchin (as in the Freddy Fish game) and when I asked the lfs person she said they eat algae.

After I caught the *devil* I looked and researched for hours until I found an article on them stating they were carnivorous! The girl at the lfs wouldn't even give me a store credit (not that I cared) for the little devil.

Grimstalk - most urchins who eat coralline end up spreading more than they eat.

Cake Fan - I can't imagine how upsetting it must have been watching that. Thank goodness you were able to remove the urchin. I definitely won't be buying one of those!
    Susan