Thread: info please

Question info please

I've decide to go with a drilled 90gal with sump.. and im trying to learn the basics..

Well i've been reading about over flows.. what is a stand pipe? and how do you clean the overflow area?

Also is the plumbing hard to do? and and and...

sorry about all the dumb questions..

still trying to learn..

The overflow is usually about 6 x 6 inches in a back corner with a hole of about 1 and 1/2 inches in size at the bottom. You can get your hand in there to clean it if the need arises. Th e stand pipe is just that .. a stand pipe. It fits into the bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the overflow and allows the overflow chamber to fill up with water to near the same level as the tank. This makes it a lot quieter because the water from the tank dose not have to fall all the way to the bottom of that chamber. There are a couple of different types that are designed to deal with the air that goes down the stand pipe so the gurgling sound is eliminated. It is a DIY job that most can handle. Check this one out.

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...pipe_frame.htm

Rob

jeez now it seems that the price to setup my tank is getting way up there... now sumps are cool and everything but sheesh.. you have to add live rock to it and there big bucks again lol..

so a 90 gal.. you would want atleast 1 lbs per gallon rock in tank and same for sump? 33 lbs..

thats alot of coin..

i might reconsider setting up a tank period..

ijo
    Fisherman.. worry about getting your tank setup without any livestock... add water... sand and uncured liverock(50 pounds).. and your off to the races... over time you will slowly add more rock and fish upgrade lighting and pumps.

Getting a tank setup with everything you need is expensive but you don't have to do it all at once... take your time... just make sure you get a drilled tank as changing this is a HUGE task later on.

For now a MAG 5 would do... you can use this same pump to power a AC180 skimmer later on when you upgrade to a MAG 12(or another bigger more expensive pump) for your tank. Lighting... start with 2x 110 watt VHO... you'll be able to use these as along with your MH upgrade(more big bucks).... planning is everything.. if you do it right... it doesn't have to cost you your first born... well at least not today

IJO

fisherman

you don't need liverock in a sump. you can if you want but ya don't need it.

The cost of the set up can be very expensive or, if you can build the sump, standpost and overflow yourself, it can be a lot less expensive. I built a sump mainly to house the skimmer, heaters etc. with a deep sand bed in the centre section but I have no live rock in my sump. Plumbing is fairly easy IMO, as long as you plan it ahead of time.

marty, how did you buid your sump? did you also build your fuge?
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

im still learning about the plumbing...

ok about no live rock in sump just yet.. i will just fill with sand..

ok johnny i might need you the help me with the plumbing.. hehe im really unsure of my plumbing abilities..

well, he's been helping me large! The picture is clearing up for me. I'm in the same "sump" as you dude !! hheheheee.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

I bought some acrylic at Canus Plastics in Ottawa, built a rectangular box and put a few baffles to reduce air bubbles, drilled a few holes for the skimmer and other plumbing. I don't have a separate fuge (not yet anyway) and the water flow through the sump is fairly low so I put some Macro algae in the center section of the sump. Send me a pm if you need specifics.