Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what type of cleaning crew to get?

Ok, so I have 0 nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, and everything else is within perametres. Now I would like to add somethings to my tank. Should I start off with just a small cleaning crew to begin with? What type of crabs are recommended? My lfs keeps suggesting blue leg hermit, but I've heard mixed reports. When can I add a fish?

My tank has been running for 7 weeks within normal (acceptable) perametres (I have had no detectable nitrites/trates or phosphates for 6 weeks). Temp is at 76-77, ph 8.3 I have a 25gallon, with 25lbs lr, DSB, cannister filter, skimmer, maxijet for flow.

Thanks for your advise. Every time I look at various sites, all I seem to get is confliting advise, like add a fish when you addlr (which just doesn't sound right), etc. Sorry for rambling (I'm excited).
    Sara

I added a mixture in my 90 gallon - 5 red leg hermit crabs - 10 red scarlet hermit crabs - 2 emerald crabs - 10 astrea snails - 5 bumble bee snails - 10 cerith snails - 5 margarita snails - 10 nassarius snails - 4 turbo snails - 2 peppermint shrimp - 1 blue tuxedo urchin. Since each does a different job I felt this was one way to be prepared to tackle any algae that comes our way. Some died in the first couple of months for unknown reasons - 1 crab & 1 turbo snail (that I remember). I haven't seen the other crab in months so I don't know if it is still alive.

I wouldn't add fish until your tank is at least 3 months old. You are through the cycle but the tank has not stabilized and there will probably be some spikes as you go through the various algae problems. If you ware going to add more uncured lr, I would wait until a few weeks after that. Once you have fish in your tank, you should cure any lr in another tank and then move it to your display tank when things have stablized.

JMO

Vickie

A little off your main topic....but I'd suggest bringing your tanks temperature up a few degrees.

Most people keep their reefs between 78-82 degrees. 76-77 is too low IMO.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Vick's post was a good one. You want some emerald crabs for buble algae and you want some snails for hair algae. Your hermits will be somewhat in the middle of all of this, eating whatever. I would just stay away from the red legged ones as I've read bad things about them, but the blue legged ones are fine. Get a variety of snails as not all of them do the same thing. Once you put fish in the tank, I'd add a perppermint or two.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

Sara,you say your tank has been running for 7 weeks and that you havnt dected any amonia,nitrates,or nitrites in the last 6 weeks?. So am I assumming that your saying your tank went thru the complete nitrogen cycle in 1 week? are there any damsel fish in there or what did you add to cycle your tank.The cycle wont begin on its own.I would make sure before you start adding any ivert or costly fish for that matter.

Originally posted by Conan
    Vick's post was a good one. You want some emerald crabs for buble algae and you want some snails for hair algae. Your hermits will be somewhat in the middle of all of this, eating whatever. I would just stay away from the red legged ones as I've read bad things about them, but the blue legged ones are fine. Get a variety of snails as not all of them do the same thing. Once you put fish in the tank, I'd add a perppermint or two.
    I'd tend to disagree with the above.

Don't add emeralds unless you need them for bubble algae...they are crabs, and in turn are scavengers and if they don't have enough food to sustain them in the tank, they'll either die, or go after other living things in the tank.

Also....snails for hair algae.....You don't need to worry about anything for hair algae unless you actually have hair algae. Being lucky enough to get a snail to tackle a hair algae problem is a rare occurance IME.

Stay away from red-legged and blue are safe? From my experience and readings, the scarlet(red leg) hermits are much more docile then the blue legged and are a better choice for cleaning efficiency. The blue's are overly aggresive and will kill your snails and other crabs for their shells. The reds will not. That being said, I would recommend the blue legs because they stay much smaller then the reds.

Finally...my advice...take it how you wish....

20 blue leg hermits
    10 astrea snails

sorry, my bad, I meant to say blue hermits are better and the red (scarlet) are aggressive. - Good point Azonic

But I maintain the snail usefullness for the hair. No, you might not have some right know, but it's better to prevent it if necessary. When cycling the tank, anything can happen. I learned this through this quote from Mouse. I didn't know that snail ate hair algae at the time.

Originally posted by mouse6196
    the 50 turbos, 30 Nassarius snails, algae blenny and yellow tang cleaned up the algae.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

I've never had a snail eat hair algae either. Only time I ever had it, I used a lettuce nudi...but ya never know!
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

The rock the I bought was mostly cured when I bought it. I have added Biosupport to the tank once a week. My levels were almost undectable from the beginning, but settled down immediately.

My lfs told me to put the temp at 76-77, as that is what their's are at, but it is recommended to raise the temp a few degrees?

Originally posted by Azonic
    Don't add emeralds unless you need them for bubble algae...they are crabs, and in turn are scavengers and if they don't have enough food to sustain them in the tank, they'll either die, or go after other living things in the tank.

I would agree with you with one modification - any creature will turn into a scavenger (including humans) if hungry enough and will die if they "don't have enough food to sustain them." This is why I add shrimp pellets every few days, after lights out. It is to feed the hermits (they are crabs as well), worms and peppermint shrimp.

Sara, that said, I know how confusing it is to know who to believe for a clean up crew. I went to J & L (who I had heard were very good to their customers) and looked here - http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/liv.../janitors.htm. If you click on the Red Scarlet Hermit Crabs (for instance) you will find that there are two varieties - one is reef safe and one is not. This is probably one reason for the conflicting advice. This page - http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...ogno=rc-hcscar - will also tell you what they are known to eat, how big they grow and how many are recommended per gallon. With that info I made up my order trying to cover a variety of aglae/debris problems.

Like all things with a reef, you must do what is best for your tank.

Vickie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast