Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

skimmer going stupid!!!!!

My skimmer (Queen TS2000 Venturi Rio 1700 pump) with an added venturi inlet control, has been going into overdrive lately, and every other day dumps 10-12 liters on the carpet behind the tank and saturates the floor and the stand.
    Why is the setting changing on me, I get concerned when I go to work that it'll overflow onto the carpet again. (In a spot where I can't clean the mess! I'm concerned too about the mould that may build up, and damage to the carpet and mould on the stand and/or weakening of the stand, as the back panels are soaked through, as is the cardboard leveling under the tank...) It was fine for the first few months and now I'm having to re-adjust it every other day.
    I had a stocking on the out-let to minimize the bubbles but I've had to remove it lately to lower the water level in the skimmer, and it still overflows.
    Thanks

Ps: This is the second skimmer and can't afford another ATM, already spent over $700 on the temperamental things...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

its normal for your settings to have to b adjusted on your skimmer, but first get some hose and runn it into a containor from the overflow outlet lesss likely to end uo on your carpet.....

Tiff,
    Orion is right..., kinda. You SHOULD run a tube from your collection cup to another bigger collection container. In my case, I have a tube running to one of those big gallon cranberry juice jugs and it is leaning tilted in one of my sumps. In case, the skimmer ever does decide to go nuts for some reason and overflows the jug, it will just fall back into the sump.
    Now...., a good skimmer shouldn't really have to be played with or need adjusting periodically. Mine was adjusted when 1st setup for the proper levels and I have never had to touch it since. Even when I turn it off to clean, once I turn it back on, everything is still good with no tweaking whatsoever.
    Having said this, there is some reason it's doing this to you. Have you taken it apart to clean? maybe it's b;ocked somewhere. All skimmers need regular cleaning.
    Venturis should always be run full open to maximize the amount of bubbles/foam. Have you moved it at all lately, repositioning it perhaps?

I cleaned the collection cup so I could see the water level and amount of bubbles in the column, otherwise I couldn't tell if it needed to be adjusted, to avoid the overflow.
    Other than that no changes.
    I was thinking of drilling a hole in the cup but was too scared I'd crack it. Also I think the leaking is coming from the join where the cup sits (there's no seal there). It's seems to leak from there too if the water level rises and goes over the cup line. I can't think of a way to seal it as I need to move it to clean the cup. Is there a plastic mould of some sort that can be used to seal this area and not put chems in the tank? I took it to the hardware store and they said no to silicone and that nothing could be done, and "O" rings are too fat for the area....
    The outlet is open fully, I put the venturi outlet attachment onto it in-case it's needed, and I've had to use it on occasion.
    Also, Is it possible to let the outflow run over the bracing near a center join as the bubbles are reduced for some reason by doing this, or will the silicon slowly dissolve or become unstable?
    Thanks for the help, I was so frustrated the other day turned it off so I could go to work in peace...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Clean it first and that dose not help and you still have water coming out of the joint where the cup meets the column you could do 1 wrap of Teflon tape around the cups lip to get a better seal. However DON'T force the cup onto the column if 1 wrap is too much as you could crack the column. The foam that high in the skimmer should be dryer. Perhaps if you turn down the water supply ... just a little ... or raise the skimmer in the sump it will correct its self. Keep the air at full blast.
    Rob

OneSaltyGuy is correct about the Teflon and I was also going to suggest that. Wrap some around the column and slip the cup down until it squishes the tape somewhat. See if that helps.
    Does your skimmer have an adjustment for the amount of water exiting out of it? From my experience, The air should be fully opened ( as you have it) and the level controlled by adjusting the output of the water. If you can place the end of your output tube underwater, try that AND drill a tiny hole in it just above the waterline...., kinda like an antisyphon hole. It is the air trapped in the water that is causing the backpressure and this hole will let it escape before entering the water.
    Can you post a pic or two of the skimmer in place so we can see how it is setup and what type it is ( I'm not familiar with the name of it and a pic will help describe it better)?

Do you have an electric drill? If so, don't worry about drilling it. Just do it slowly and don't push too hard. Let the drill bit do the work. Acrylic is easily drilled. Drill a hole big enough to be able to silicone a nipple of some sort in the hole ( start with a smaller drill bit and work your way up in size), and try to keep the edge of the nipple even with the acrylic surface. If you place it higher in the cup somewhat, the gunk will have to collect in there long enough to overflow the nipple. Then you can simply attach a tube to it to drain into whatever you use to collect the nasty stuff.

thanks for the help.
    I'll try and get a pic for you.
    The Skimmer has an inlet and outlet control and air control.
    What's Teflon tape? Isn't that the stuff they put on frying pans??? I'll do a search on it. It sounds like a good idea.

Teflon tape is usually sold in the plumbing area of Home Depot or any other hardware or plumbing store. It's very, very thin and not really sticky but it grips well. You wrap it around the threads of two plumbing parts then you screw them together. It prevents leaks - water and air. I usually wrap about 7 times right on the threads. Great stuff.
    Susan

Originally posted by tiffany
    What's Teflon tape? Isn't that the stuff they put on frying pans???
    :ummm: :wha?: :wha?: :wha?: :huh??: :huh??:

What have you been using on all your connections that screw together?

I hire someone to do that for me......

Don't you have Teflon coated frying pans that don't scratch etc.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast