Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what should I add next

Okay, so I bought a maroon clown. Now I'm not sure waht to put in next. I will evenually have an anemone for the clown, so I need something that won't eat it. Any suggestions?

Sara .. maroon clown fish are pretty territorially and aggressive so you should add fish that are up to the task of keeping him / her at bay. If you add any lesser fish you might have issues. How big is your tank?
    Rob

All of the info that I had read states that they can be mildly aggressive with their own species, or fish with similar colouring or markings. After I bought him, and fell more deeply in love with him, I read a post (here I think) about how aggressive they are. My tank is a 25gallon, upgrading in the relatively near future (obviously I won't be stocking my 25 to max capacity anyway). I have also read that if I add two fish at a time, there is less aggression. Anyone know if this is true?

When you add your fish you need to decide what you want in the tank in the end and add the least aggressive types first and let them settle in. Then work your way up the aggression scale as best as you can. What other fish are you interested in keeping and how big is this maroon?
    Rob

Your tank is way to new to consider adding anything right now. You should wait at least 3 weeks to a month before even considering adding anything. More mature tanks can handle additions better but with new tanks you have to wait for your tank to adjust.

I have read a great many *why is everything dead in my tank* only to find out it's ie... because someone added 3 fish in 1month to a new tank. Please, marine tanks are beautiful and I understand the urge to fill it up but you *must* take your time.
    Don't add anything else for at least a month.

ps. Maroon clowns are known to be a very aggessive fish, don't pay too much attention to what people trying to sell you a product tell you, research and more research before you add anything, this is how to have a successful tank and save yourself lots of money & heartache

I had never planned on adding anything for at least another month. I don't want to overload my tank. I'm just trying to get an idea of what else I can add. From the research that I did before I got my maroon, evrything led me to believe that, as long as he was not with any of his own species, or anything similar in looks to him, I would be fine. As I stated above, after buying him, I read a post about their aggressive tendencies. This was all news to me, as I (thought I) had thoroughly researched. Aquariumhobbiest, liveaquaria, reefcentral, reefkeeping and many other sites, as well as books, all stated the above mentioned. Therefore, with lots of research done, I bought my fish. This wasnot a "Oh my god, look how cute he is,swimming in the tank so cute and fancy free. I must have him immediately." It was a planned purchase, prompted by research. Sorry if it seems I'm on the offensive, but I don't want people to assume that I watched Nemo and now I want a tank for no reason other than being a victim of Disney-fication.

Sara ... In general Clown fish are passive. However Maroons have a reputation for being aggressive ... very aggressive in fact. You will be OK as long as he / she dose not claim the entire tank as his / her domain. When you are ready to add something else be sure to keep an eye on things. Nothing is written in stone and no 2 situations are the same.
    Rob

I had a maroon that could and did on several occasions draw blood (mine!) He was a beauty, and a character. After putting up with 1.5 years of him/her tossing rocks, biting me and generally ruling the tank I gave him to Steve. I hear she/he is doing great. I have two false percs, I love them! No bites, no rocks being tossed (no joke, the maroon would pick up pieces of rock 1/4 his size and spit it at the front of the tank!) Talk about negative feedback on my rockwork!!

Hahahahahahahhaha Xerces My 2 Maroon Clowns do the same. I could move the sand back and as soon as I move my hand they would stir it up . I've had mine close to 7 years.

Pluff
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

Very funny...
    I think you may need a lion tamer.........
    If you do add more fish then try remove the Maroon and add him in after a few hours or so after the others, so he's the last in the tank, also if possible move his cave or preferred territory. If persistent you can always use an egg crate to separate it, until it settles.
    Adding another Maroon can be done with the utmost care and caution if you want a pair, A whole thread can written on that alone.
    Look for totally different fish types. Blennies. Chromis. Wrasses. etc..
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast