Copper Band hiding and on hunger stike...

This morning I found the Copper Band hiding behind the rocks, after putting my nose up to the glass he moved out into the open, and when I went to feed them, he hesitated then he ate 1 blood worm and spat it out...
    Since then he's progressively spent more off the day behind the rocks and didn't come out for feedings...
    His color is ok, no signs of fighting, and all the fish get along ok (except when the coral beauty wants to go into the Anthia's 'cubby hole!!).
    The waters at
    PH- 8.3
    Alk- 8dkh
    Calcium- 400ppm
    I used vinegar on some Aiptasia the day before and neutralized the effect with buffer and the water's ok.
    I think he's starving, the Blood Worms are only a temporary food I add for him as he's just started to eat frozen. (and the other fish don't eat it, so there's no competition) I fed them an assortment of other foods today and no positive result.
    I'll check the Ammonia and Nitrites etc tomorrow, as I don't have time today, But I did do a 10% water change anyway, just in-case.
    I'll get some live brine shrimp tomorrow if the stores are open with Easter and all. Apart from that I don't know what to do.
    Moving him into QT seems unnecessary as no-ones bothering him, and there's no sign of disease as such, and it would only add to the stress.
    I bought him from a different retailer, and am suspicious of means of capture and meds used, even though I was told none were. But it seems symptomatic of this. I.e: inability to digest foods, leading to subsequent starvation.
    Any Ideas??????
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Is this a new addition to your tank Tiff or a sudden change in behavior? If he is new the live food is the way to get him started. Once he has settled in and eating well you can mix some frozen with the live food and put it in at the same time to see if he will take to it. Then you can gradually switch him over. Butterfly's are usually difficult to get started but once settled in should do OK.
    Rob

Hiding is pretty normal with new copperbands. Have you tried him with mysis shrimp yet? They especially like the stuff from Piscine Energetics. I agree with Salty, they can be hard to get settled but once they are seem quite hardy.
    Susan

I aree with Flame. Feed him Mysis shrimp. Brine shrimp can be compared to chips as they are nothing more thsn junk food and give fish no nutrition at all. The onlt time Brine shrimp are good for anything is when they are just hatched and still have theire yolksacs attached to them. If you feed them at that point, the yolksac will give the fish nutrition. Once when mine was sick and injured, refusing to eat anything, I fed him Mysisi soaked in garlic and also tried Mysis soaked in Selcon. He went for those after a couple of tries and then started to feed again on the regular stuff.
    When you bought it was it out in the open swimming around in the LFS and did you see it eat there before buying it? How big is it because usually the very small ones are harder to get eating again in a tank and often perish. They are similar to clams, too small and their survivability record goes way down.

I've done that with picky fish too. Brine shrimp soaked in selco seems to be irristable to almost any fish. Selco (especially the thick concentrated stuff) coats food and is a great source of fatty acids.
    Susan

He died the same night of the post.
    I had him for about a 6 weeks and he was about 2 inches long, the behavior I explained was out of the ordinary as he was always out in the open from day one, and was never bothered by the others, and I'd just got him to eat frozen blood worms, from live foods, and was trying for Mysis, and he ate the occasional flake.
    I think he starved to death, he was skinny when I bought him, I didn't know this at the time, as they all look skinny in the RS's, but saw another about 2 days ago that looked healthier and fatter.
    I am annoyed that he died the way he did. I think, as I said, it was cyanide capture, as they lose the ability to digest food. And he ate alot.
    Shame.
    I'm not familiar with fish deaths, the only other one was a similar case, about a year ago, ate food and died skinny after a month or two. I feed a variety of foods and make my own mix.
    I bought him from a new RS. That I shall not inhabit again.
    I'm not happy.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Sorry to hear that Tiff. butterfly's and copper bands in particular are difficult to get in good condition and often don't make the transition from reef to tank. I have learned to not bring them home unless I see them eating at the store. They also need to have some meat on them because even if eating in the store they will likely stop when you bring them home. Like many fish that look good in the store they may have unseen issues that will shorten their life span even when all is well.
    Rob

Thanks Rob

Tiff,
    As a rule, the good ones come from your neck of the woods. I, along with Flame Angel got ours from there. 2" is kinda small too. They are one of those fish that like clams, are not a good idea to buy small. Minimum 3" preferably with 4" even being better. Yes, they also have to be active, healthy/fullbodied and eating eagerly when you buy it. A healthy CBB will always be actively searching the rockwork very attentively. Watch for these signs next time. For me, this is one of those fish that I would only buy from a store that I REALLY know the people there and know that they get good stuff and handle them properly. It is one of those fish that I would be willing to pay a bit more for knowing that there is a reasoning for the price, but again, only if I know that I can trust the store.

Thanks,
    The store that I originally ordered it through about 8 months ago finally got one in, but it's 1 1/2" long, and fat. But I'll leave it. Both are/were from Aussie waters.