Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clening Skimmer - How often

I am currently cleaning my skimmer two to three times a day.

Is this the norm or is it beacuse of the new tank cycling process completing.

This will settle down. Your nitrates are very high (as per your last post) this is making your skimmer run in overdrive.

It still seems like quite a lot though. Is the foam too wet maybe? The liquid should be very dark and smell really bad. If not you may need to adjust your skimmer so that the water level isn't quite as high. What kind of skimmer are you using?
    Susan

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
    This will settle down. Your nitrates are very high (as per your last post) this is making your skimmer run in overdrive.

It still seems like quite a lot though. Is the foam too wet maybe? The liquid should be very dark and smell really bad. If not you may need to adjust your skimmer so that the water level isn't quite as high. What kind of skimmer are you using?
    Very good point, when mine was first up I remember it always being full but the liquid was transparent with some green color to it. After adjusting it a LOT it started coming out dark and sloppy with a disgusting smell.

It s wet skimmer that came with the das tank model 99 what ever that means. The colour is brown and there is always a brown slim in the cup and around the inside cover.

i have a skimmer that i only get very little white foam appearing.. no slime? and if i adjust it to higher rate i get bubbles in my tank?

hmm..

Mine right now gets some foam and a little slimy stuff, I empty it at least once a week not because I need to but because the of the smell.

My nitrates/amn are 0 (very rarely I get very very low readings but that lasts a day) so as Flame*Angel said it's probably because of your nitrates then.

If I put mine up I get bubbles too, you never get slime? even a little?

I have a Lifereef skimmer. It takes out about a gallon a week of pretty disgusting dark brown liquid. I have this draining from the cup to a bucket below. The cup itself gets a kind of thick almost black gel that I have to clean out once a week.

I've been keeping my nitrates around 5 for the clams. I've found that at this level I don't get any nuisance algae and everything seems happy.

I ordered a 6' Lifereef for the new 300g tank today - can't wait to see that monster! I'll have to get on a stool to get the cup off the top
    Susan

Just be careful you don't fall in . It sounds like one of those scary saturday night movies where woman gets eaten by skimmer.

Your have to buy a sailing harnes to wear when working around the tank

this is what is looks like every 12 hours.

Looks like good and nasty skimmate to me. I'd say it's just die off from the rock, it'll settle down in time.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast