Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Afraid of setting up..

Hiya all, :help:

Im really afraid of setting up my 90gal, I once had a 55 gal SW and the thing got over run with algae the glass would be covered every day.. and it was hard to scrub off.. (i used tap water then)(and no water changes)(with 1 lion, 2 clarkiis, 1 korean angel, 1 yellow tang)over stocked lol..

and im afraid this will happen again.. cause my nano just cleared up from cyno.. now hair algae is growing(not so bad) but the glass has green powder algae.. i clean it twice in the evening when i get home.. i use DI water..skimmer,HOB filter with carbon only.. 2 power heads.. facing front..

im i being to cautious? :sadwalk:

thanks all

First off who isn't nervous setting up a new tank. I think your main problem was that you used tap water and probably did other newb mistakes.

Just make sure you get yourself an r/o unit (IMO) and take it slowwwww & ask lots of questions.

By all rights unless you do something way off base the 90 should be more stable then the smaller tanks you have run in the past. Once you get things dialed in you should be off to the races. As for algae on the front pane it is likely there pretty quick because your power heads are pointed at it. Algae will always grow fast in the current where there is lots of Oxygen. Point them somewhat less at the front pane and do less cleaning without removing current.
    Rob
    Rob

dont be nervous....just stop using tap water...thats most likely the problem. just take it slow.

I use Store bought DI water.. as of now.. and my dad is going to buy me RO/DI unit for my birthday in september..

I have all copper pipes in my home is it easy to connect?

Cool MARK

uhhh most of us have copper pipes in our houses: Don't sweat it. Its copper with salt that ain't good. DI store bought,
    are you talking distilled? thats not the same as RO/DI water. The DI in RO/DI is deionized water using resin. While distilled will work it has 0 minerals and and can actually ''suck'' the minerals out of bones,corals. Its been talked about alot and I've even heard doctors say to NEVER drink distilled water as it will make your bones weak. Has something to do with ions and all that jazz. If your waiting for an RO/DI unit then buy store bought RO water. its a far cry better than your tap. I even used spring water for a year [less than perfect] and it was better than tap water.

it is very rare copper will leech from the copper pipes into the water cause the water from city plants is buffered to prevent a ion exchange . what the main concern is clorimide and siclicates. my neighbour is a water purifacation plant engineer. and i questioned him about this.

Re: MARK

Originally posted by Johnny Rock
    While distilled will work it has 0 minerals and and can actually ''suck'' the minerals out of bones,corals. Its been talked about alot and I've even heard doctors say to NEVER drink distilled water as it will make your bones weak. Has something to do with ions and all that jazz.
    Johnny, this thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1 pretty much explains that this is an "urban legend". "In the lab, we use a very pure grade of DI water (18 Mohm/cm), and it tastes the best!" RO/DI water is purer than distilled.

FWIW

Vickie

I have been using tap water (in Orleans) since I started and I have no algae problems (no copper pipes in my house). My tank went through the usual process with red slime and hair, etc... but I placed a 328gph powerhead down low behind the rock, adding current to the bottom portion of the tank and I have almost 0 alge growth now. Tank looks great! I was told that Ottawa water has no phosphates and the flouride keeps the fishes teeth nice and white I just add the necessary stuff to eliminate chlorine and stuff. I bet your alge problem had more to do with something else. Just my opinion eh.

Talking VICKY

I have to disagree on that one sorry. I've done a lot of research on distilled water and any doctor/dentist I've ever asked that question to they've all said the same thing. The distilled water is too pure and not good for humans to drink and I find when I've try'd it it tasted way to strange[even though theres no taste]. I drink RO water. In life we need minerals big time[I know you know that ] and we get lots of this from the water we drink. If we drink DI we no longer have a good amount of mineral intake so can suffer long term effects like brittle bone disease.
    Now, wether drinking distilled water actually reverses the minerals out of our bones is not clear but in the use of aquarium and drinking water I'd be a little worried.More research on this topic would be cool and very interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast