Thread: Qt

Qt

What do I need to start a QT? I know I need sand, lr, and a powerhead, but what about lighting, filter, skimmer, etc? Thanks

If QT stands for quarantine tank. I personaly wouldn't add sand. I just use a sponge filter, and a heater. I also use a 8 inch piece of 2' black pvc forshelter. Sometimes I use a light. I don't use sand cause if you have to add any chemicals, it doesn't ruin your sand. This is my personal setup.

Sara ... QTs are to be as bare as they can be. Sand and life rock Would make dosing very difficult because both will absorb medications. If you add sand and rock you would actually be setting up a small tank as compared to running a QT.
    Rob

So I just need a heater, something for shelter (like a fake cave or something?), what about lighting? Do I need to add lighting, and if so, what kind is recommended? I still have a few weeks before I feel comfy enough to add a second fish, but I'd like to get it up and running. Do I take water out of my showtank?

Lighting is minimal. Just enough to see the fish and give a day / night cycle. Some meds are sensitive to some types of light and your not really trying to grow anything in there because algae would also absorb meds. Yes a heater is required as is some simple shelter. I used to use a few short pieces of 2" and 4" DIA ABS pipe. Water from your display tank, if that water is in good shape, is OK You will need a simple filter or do water changes as necessary.
    Rob

In your main tank, if it has a sump or some sort of filter, you can add foam to it the filter kind. Leave it in there for about a week, if not longer and that will fill up with bacteria. Then you can either put it in the filter, if your running one on the QT, or you can just put it right in the tank. I use a small Hagen mini filter on my QT, and I keep a sponge filter in my sump for that reason. Of course if you add chemicals to the QT make sure you throw out the sponge when your done, never add it back to the main tank.