Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Copperbanded Butterfly Fish

High
    i woulld like to put a Copperbanded Butterfly Fish in my 40 gallon tank. it will have about 30 lbs of live Rock in it with NO feather Duster. Although it will have Green Star Polyps and Ricordea Mushrooms. Fish are as follows, 2 Clark's Clownfish (2 inches long) Yellowheaded Jawfish (2 inches long) Threadfin Shrimp Goby with Srhimp, 3 Margarita Snails, and 3 Bule Legged Hermit Crabs. This will not be all the fish i will be adding but it is what is in there now. Will th Copperband go in with these and corals with out harm. I dont care if he nibbles on my stars but if he chews my ricordeas he's sold. Also are these fish hard to care for. I hear they go on hunger strikes.

I think your 40 gallon is too small for a copperband. I'm pretty sure the min tank size is a 75 gallon.

HTH

Pluff
    Phins Up ^^^^^^^

"How I wish, how I wish you were here,
    We're just 2 lost souls sitting in a fish bowl,
    Year after year......."(Hope it was cycled!)
    Pink Floyd

im putting one in my 46. and i was told it is ok if the fish is small when ya put it in there:blah:
    so go for it

The rule of thumb is 1 inch of adult fish per 5 gallons of salt water. This means in a 40 gallon tank you should only have about 8 inches of fish - adult size so they don't outgrow the tank. This article goes into more detail as to why that rule was adopted. http://www.aquariumpros.com/articles/stockguide.shtml I agree many of us are overstocked and have no problems thanks to running skimmers (that put a lot of oxygen into the water) until the power goes out.

Aquamann, it sounds like the person that told you that believed that a fish would only grow as big as the tank they are in. That is not true. This is covered in the above article under the title of Some Common Misconceptions.

FWIW - that article is written by someone who owns/operates a fish set up and maintenance store (fresh and salt) with a degree in the field.

Here's a site with info on the copperband - http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1660 It says a minimum of a 50 gallon tank but "It is best housed in very large reefs". I wouldn't recommend it for your tank, Doo-e

JMO

Vickie

Doo e & Aquaguy,
    I agree with the others. Both your tanks are WAY TOO small!!!!
    The person who said it would be fine in that small tank is plain wrong.... period!!
    These fish need room to swim around in and even if it was the ONLY fish in your tanks, the tank is STILL too small.
    Yes, they CAN be finicky eaters, although not if someone knows how to deal with this issue. I usually recommend this fish only to someone who knows how to handle sensitive fish or that hasgained experience with reefkeeping husbandry.

Now.., to answer the other questions, no they will not touch any of those corals.

I've had 2 copperbands now. I lost the first one in the hurricane wipeout last fall. They are my absolute favourite fish. They are also the fastest growing fish I've had. The one I have now grew from a tiny little 2.5" baby to almost 6" now in about 5 months. She's still not full grown either. I expect her to grow at least another inch, possibly more.

My 120g tank is 4' long and has 150lbs of live rock which she picks at constantly. I really wouldn't advise putting one in a much smaller tank.
    Susan

Flame Angel i am aware of your Butterflies you are actualy the one who inticed me on getting one of these fish. I have been keeping up on your site on a regular basis i am looking forward to the next set of pics (i always hope they are there when i go on when are you adding them). I am also aware of the large tank and if you dont mind me saying i would suggest adding a Panther Grouper to that tank. The LFS had one and we could hand feed it. Now back to the Butterfly this is my new plan what if i put it in there while it is little then when it grows i should have my 90 gallon up and running then it will go in there. Sound good.

Doo-e, I would wait until the 90 was up and running and stablized. It will take a few months to stablize before I would put a delicate fish like that in it. This will avoid the stresses involved with catching all the fish in your 40 gallon and moving them to the bigger tanks. If you are going to put a Copperband in a 90, I would also make sure that it was understocked so there is less stress (from fish establishing/defending territories).

Vickie

Son ofa #%^&(
    i was told in my previous thread that i could keep a copperband in my 46. now you guy's are making me drink on sundays. thanks alot
    eeved:

Like there's anything wrong with drinking on Sundays!!! I personally only drink on days that end with Y...but hey, I got the will power to stick to that

Tic
    int: int: int: :trophy: uke2:
    Any darn fool can make something complex; it takes a genius to make something simple

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast