Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

starting a new 125

Hey everyone, I'm starting a 125g tank with a 35g sump soon. I just wanted to post the equipment I have picked out and see of anyone has any comments to help me see if I'm getting the right stuff for the job

here it goes

Tank: 125 undrilled (already own)
    35g sump (already own)
    Lighting: 3x 250w MH with 2x 165w vho actinic (Hamilton teck)
    Skimmer: Euroreef es8-3
    Overflow: Lifereef double 1400gph overflow
    Return pump: Mag 2400
    Powerheads: Maxi-jet 1200(4)
    125 lbs premium figi live rock
    RO/DI: The one from here

Thats it, any feedback would be great
    thanks

Looks like a GOOD start but get the tank DRILLED. At that size you want to get it right. You will not regret it.

Rob

I would also recommend a larger sump, Atleast a 65 gallon, Will be much easier to alow more water flow and less Air bubbles.. you can install more baffels and run much more water flow. As a Mag24 is alot of water flow for a 35 gallon sump.

i think if you just add a few baffles to the 35g you will be fine.

How do you decide on the flow through a sump vs flow through a closed loop? I've been some stuff lately which suggests cutting back a lot on sump flow (making the 35G less of an issue).
    Nick

Sweet set up man. I like the light combination, You should be able to house pretty much what ever you want with no problems. Good luck with the setup.

I'd like to get the tank drilled, but i dont wanna risk losing it cause nowhere around here will guaranty it wont brake. Since the projects already over budget i cant risk having to pay another $500 for a new tank.

I don't think anyone will guarantee breakage when drilling a tank. How else are you going to do it?

Thats what im getting the lifereed hangon overflow. From what iv read its the best one you can get. No pump or anything to fail, and it will start and stop on its own when the power goes out

Nick,
    The main reasons for a slower flow through your sump is because most often, the sump is used simply to house your filtering equipment. You want it to flow slow enough for the water to get processed efficiently. For example, without getting into the technicalities too much..., consider a given amount of water flowing very fast through a sump or a lot slower. If there is a skimmer skimming the water in the sump, more water will be processed by the skimmer if it is flowing pass the skimmer intake slower than if it was rushing past the intake. This is a basic example, but you get the idea.
    Another reason is because you will need a smaller pump to push less water volume back up to your main tank. Therefore, keeping it quieter, less heat, and less expensive. You should always try to make the majority of the water movement in the actual main tank..., for the coral's benefit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast